iandonnachie

Default John McKnight married Sarah McDonald

My wife's grandfather was John Harper McKnight who married Sarah McDonald
    somewhere in Ayrshire, I can find no trace of either of them anywhere. Can
    anyone help
    thanks

Famous for offering help & advice

You may already have this but Scotlands People has
    a marriage John Harper McKnight to Sarah McDonald 1908 Kilwinning.
    a death John Harper McKnight 1988 Dundee
    1901 census one Sarah McDonald Kilwinning
    1901 census 22 John McKnights Ayrshire (but none Kilwinning)

Hope this helps.

iandonnachie

Default John mcKnight married Sarah McDonald

Thanks for help
    This gives me something to work on, the J.McK death 1988 was my Wife's cousin who lived in Dundee

iandonnachie

I have found out some more about J mcKnight, he was apparently born in Auchinleck Ayrshire, father andrew mother sarah milligan both born in ireland Andrew in Newton Ards 1834, taken from 1881 census, still cannot be 100% sure as we do not know of the siblings, does this info mean anything to any one out there
    thanks

Hello again

Did you get John's parents names from his marriage certificate? If you think you can definitely link John Harper McKnight to an Andrew from Newtonards this may be of interest.

If you google Newtonards McKnight 1834 the first site is headed McNeightMcKnight and is a Roots web site belonging to Ros Davies Co Down.
    It has the following about Andrew McNight/McNeight of Newtownards Son of George McNeight. Married Sarah Milliken 9 Mar 1854 in Bangor . father of George b 3May and bp 6 July 1856 at 1st Newtonards Presbyterian Church ref CR

There are many other McKnights mentioned.

Hope this helps.

iandonnachie

Thanks again
    I looked up site as suggested, find an interesting entry, only problem is it says they married in bangor, my info says they married in West calder, Scotland. the son george dob ties in, gets stranger by the minute

kimhaa

Hi,
    I have marriage record of John Harper McKnight marrying Sarah Ann McDonald on 3rd April 1908 at Fergushill, Kilwinning. His parents are noted as John Harper (general labourer), his mother is Mary Harper maiden name McKnight. So perhaps his mother was married before to a McKnight. Her parents are Stewart McDonald (Coalminer) and Mary McDonald maiden name Gartley.

Quote Originally Posted by kimhaa View Post
    Hi,
    I have marriage record of John Harper McKnight marrying Sarah Ann McDonald on 3rd April 1908 at Fergushill, Kilwinning. His parents are noted as John Harper (general labourer), his mother is Mary Harper maiden name McKnight. So perhaps his mother was married before to a McKnight. Her parents are Stewart McDonald (Coalminer) and Mary McDonald maiden name Gartley.
    Hello Kimhaa and welcome

This suggests to me that John Harper McKnight was born illegitimately to Mary McKnight before her marriage to John Harper. I cannot find a birth of John Harper McKnight on Scotlands people but there are several John McKnight births in Ayrshire.

On Family Search there is a John McKnight b 1881 in New Cumnock Ayrshire, mother Mary McKnight (no father given). Would that fit with John's age on his marriage record?

kimhaa

Wink John McKnight

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Hello Kimhaa and welcome

This suggests to me that John Harper McKnight was born illegitimately to Mary McKnight before her marriage to John Harper. I cannot find a birth of John Harper McKnight on Scotlands people but there are several John McKnight births in Ayrshire.

On Family Search there is a John McKnight b 1881 in New Cumnock Ayrshire, mother Mary McKnight (no father given). Would that fit with John's age on his marriage record?
    Yes, 1881 would fit as he is noted as 27 on his marriage record of 1908.

I can't see any marriages between a John Harper and a Mary McKnight. They may not have married and they may or may not have lived together. Do you have access to the 1891 census to see if you can find them? The 1881 might be worth a look too even though it was a few months before John's birth. Sorry I can't help with that.

However looking at the free index for 1891 on Find my past it looks as though there is a 10 year old John McKnight in a household in New Cumnock with another John McKnight but no Mary McKnight .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast