Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hollytree

Question Young family from Castle Combe

Hi

I have been researching the family of Elver YOUNG b ca1800 at CC. But now have come across a puzzling fact!

Elver married first Catherine Wallis at Grittleton, then after Catherine died, he married at Hullavington, Joyce LATCHAM (who I have found nothing about).

They settled in Castle Combe, Elver's parish of birth......... but moved about a bit as some children are baptised at Yatton Keynell (up the road) and Littleton Drew. By 1872 he died at Batheaston.

BUT (and this is what is puzzling me) some of the children have a mother with a different surname of WEARE (and not at the end of the string of children) I have just received two certificates and except for the different mother surname all is right, the right father and the right Christian name for the mother, but NOT the right surname of LATCHAM.

Joyce did not die until after him and Elver did not marry another Joyce as far as I can tell. And she was a spinster when she married Elver ( I think- no entry on marriage to say that either were widowed)

So is there anyone out there researching WEARE/LATCHAM/YOUNG from Hullavington/CastleCombe/Yatton Keynell/Corsham??

Anne

Super Moderator

Elver died in 1872, age 78. He married Catharine in 1824.

I can't find a marriage entry for Joyce - do you know when Catharine died or when he married Joyce?

On the 1851 census he is listed with Joyce, along with his children, his father and brother:

Elver
    Joyce
    Eliza b abt 1837
    mary b abt 1841
    George b abt 1846
    Comfort b abt 1848
    Honor b abt 1847
    Jane b abt 1849

William (father) age 78
    Charles (brother) age 31

On the 1861 census he is listed with Joyce, along with his children:

George b abt 1846
    Comfort b abt 1848
    Jane b abt 1850
    Ellen b abt 1952
    Albert b abt 1856.

On the 1871 Comfort, Jane, ellen and Albert still live with his and Joyce.

All children are names Young and I have a quick look at FreeBMD and those I assume to be yours are registered as Young.

i can't find any entry on the 1841 census.

Nicolina

Without children's nmes and years of birth it's not easy to try and solve, so I've just done a search of the Censuses and he hasn't "popped up" before 1861 (could be a mis-transcription)

the family in 1861 areat:
    RG09/1280/5 Page: 3
    Dark Lane, Castle Combe
    YOUNG, Elver Head Married M 58 1803 Agricultural Labourer b. Castle Combe, Wiltshire
    YOUNG, Joyce Wife Married F 57 1804 b. Hullavington, Wiltshire
    YOUNG, George Son Unmarried M 18 1843 Agricultural Labourer b. Yatton Keynell, Wiltshire
    YOUNG, Comfort Daughter F 16 1845 Scholar b. Yatton Keynell, Wiltshire
    YOUNG, Jane Daughter F 11 1850 Scholar b. Castle Combe, Wiltshire
    YOUNG, Ellen Daughter F 9 1852 Scholar b. Castle Combe, Wiltshire
    YOUNG, Albert Son M 5 1856 Scholar b. Castle Combe, Wiltshire
    MERRETT, Mary Ann Granddaughter F 4 1857 Scholar b. Hullavington, Wiltshire
    MERRETT, Amelia Granddaughter F 2 1859 b. Yatton Keynell, Wiltshire

and in 1871:
    RG10/1894/53 Page: 16
    1 Cottages, Castle Combe
    YOUNG, Elver Head M 70 1801 Ag Lab b. Castle Combe, Wiltshire
    YOUNG, Joice Wife F 62 1809 b. Hullavington, Wiltshire
    YOUNG, Comfort Daughter F 25 1846 formerly Teacher b. Castle Combe, Wiltshire
    YOUNG, Jane Daughter F 21 1850 b. Castle Combe, Wiltshire
    YOUNG, Ellen Daughter F 19 1852 b. Castle Combe, Wiltshire
    YOUNG, Albert Son M 14 1857 Ag Lab b. Castle Combe, Wiltshire

living next door is Charles YOUNG an Ag Lab b. Castle Combe, Wiltshire. Unfortunately I cannot read his age (could be 52

Nicolina

found him on A***** in 1851
    HO107/1836/61; Page: 29
    Upper Coombe Road, Castle Combe
    Elver Young abt 1801 b. Castle Combe occ: Ag Lab
    Joyce Young abt 1811 b. Castle Combe
    Eliza Young abt 1837 b. Castle Combe
    Mary Young abt 1841 b. Yatton Kennell
    George Young abt 1842 b. Yatton Kennell
    Comfort Young abt 1845 b. Yatton Kennell
    Honor Young abt 1847 b. Castle Combe
    Jane Young abt 1849 b. Castle Combe
    William Young abt 1773 b. Corsham (Father) occ: Ag Lab
    Charles Young abt 1820 b. Castle Combe (Brother) occ: Ag Lab

now maybe others can help more easily.

Hollytree

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    Elver died in 1872, age 78. He married Catharine in 1824.
    Thanks, I have his death cert...he died at Batheaston

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    I can't find a marriage entry for Joyce - do you know when Catharine died or when he married Joyce?
    Yes, they married at Hullavington in May 1831, where she is entered in the register as Joyce Latcham, not so much info on these entries, may need to look at the BTs

Quote Originally Posted by suemailings View Post
    i can't find any entry on the 1841 census.
    No 1841 census forr Castle Combe survives, much to my chagrin... I do have all the census entries, but thanks anyway. I think that Joyce was a widow, which may explain the change in name for some of the children.

Thanks for all your help, I just would love to find if there is anyone researching this family too.......

Anne

Hollytree

Thanks, but most of this I knew, what confused me was the change of mother's surname, but thinking about it logically it must mean that she was a widow when she married, and gave her married name, and as the entries before 1837 don't give the father's name, there is no way of crosschecking, which is a pain when researching common names...

Thanks again to all.
    Anne

Knowledgeable and helpful

Have a look at WiltshireBMD. Entries for this period of the Chippenham Register office have been done, and I think include CC. Maiden names for mothers are included on the birth index. You may be able to sort out your problem by reference to this site. PW

Smile

I've had a look myself, and there are only two birth entries which have the maiden name of Latcham. These are Ann in 1839 and Honor in 1846. You'll have to see what else works out for the ones you know belong to Elver. I had one case where the first child's birth certificate had one maiden name and the rest all had another. Further invesitgation showed that the second used name matched the baptism of the mother and her marriage; it's still a puzzle where the first name came from, but it nearly wrecked the work bu creating an impenetrable brickwall. PW

Hollytree

Quote Originally Posted by pwholt View Post
    Have a look at WiltshireBMD. Entries for this period of the Chippenham Register office have been done, and I think include CC. Maiden names for mothers are included on the birth index. You may be able to sort out your problem by reference to this site. PW
    Thanks but I have gone further than this, I sent for two certificates, and Joyce is the same and one person, why she gives two different maiden names at the registration of her children is at the moment a mystery!

I have found online transcriptions of the registers at Hullavington and have trawled through looking for a baptism of either a Joyce/Joice Latcham/Weare. There is none.

I have also looked for an early marriage of a Latcham to a Weare, nothing suitable. There is an early marriage of Latham to Ware (not Joyce - and too early- could be her parents) given that most at this time would be illiterate, I have to give this spelling difference some credence.

The nonconformist registers are there too, but too late (she would have be born c1811)

The names of her children and one of her sister in law's child are of a Quaker nature, but knowing that the Quakers would cut them away from the movement if one of their members would leave I'm wondering if Joyce left the faith and married 'out'.

I can feel a trip to Chippenham archives coming on to see what the Quaker records reveal if anything. The most annoying thing about this, is that I cannot take Joyce's ancestry back until I find some evidence who her father and mother are!

Heigho, that's the interest of this hobby.

Thanks for your suggestions

Anne

I notice that Joyce isn't too precise with her age on the census, and might have been born anytime between 1804 and 1811. I've had a look at a transcript of the marriage of James WARE to Elisabeth LATCHAM 21 Jan 1811. Both are of this parish; while Elisabeth signed, James made his mark. Witnesses at the marriage were William LATCHAM and Hannah SARGENT who both signed their names. It is worth noting that James WEARE was the son of Power WEARE and Mary, and Power's will mentions his daughter Anna Comfort WEARE. Given that Joyce & Elver use that name, it might be indicative of a link, although the name is not uncommon in the parish, nor is Elver as a male first name. I suggest that Joyce is a daughter of Elisabeth LATCHAM, born before her marriage in 1811, and thus grew up using both surnames, which is what she's done when the births were registered. Or was it the same person who registered each birth? You won't know unless you get all certificates, or at least one in each surname. I doubt that looking for a Quaker connection is going to give you any positive results - the other LATCHAM events in the parish are in the C of E records.
    There are no LATCHAM wills and only the one will for WEARE, Power, in 1814.
    PW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast