Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hollytree

Quote Originally Posted by pwholt View Post
    Joyce isn't too precise with her age on the census, and might have been born anytime between 1804 and 1811. I've had a look at a transcript of the marriage of James WARE to Elisabeth LATCHAM 21 Jan 1811. Both are of this parish; while Elisabeth signed, James made his mark. Witnesses at the marriage were William LATCHAM and Hannah SARGENT who both signed their names.
    Yes I saw that

It is worth noting that James WEARE was the son of Power WEARE and Mary, and Power's will mentions his daughter Anna Comfort WEARE.
    The Quaker idea came from an entry in the Wiltshire History Books (can't remember their official name) which I scrolled thru at Trowbridge, and saw some entries for a Latcham from Hullavington. I clutch at anything!
    I suggest that Joyce is a daughter of Elisabeth LATCHAM, born before her marriage in 1811,
    Yes I think that this was the case, can't prove it, what about Bastardy Bonds?
    Or was it the same person who registered each birth? You won't know unless you get all certificates, or at least one in each surname.
    Bought two certs and one was registered by Elver and one by Joyce. Spent loads on certs, so if push comes to shove can always get the full set!

Thanks for your time

Famous for offering help & advice

Default Hullavington transcripts

I can't help with your problem, but please could you tell me where you found the Hullavington transcripts online?

Thanks,
    Arthur

Hollytree

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    please could you tell me where you found the Hullavington transcripts online?

Thanks,
    Arthur
    Hi

Try this https://www.hullavington.info/

Anne

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Hullavington transcript

That transcript is faulty for at least one family. For every Latcham entry, the father's first name is omitted. It should be Joseph. He married Mary Marsh by licence in 1779; he was a butcher. Not sure where he came from. I know this because I looked at the original records this afternoon. PW

Hollytree

Hi

I'm aware that all transcriptions should be viewed with a caveat of care, always if possible check against the original. But what these helpful indexes can do is give an idea of the location of surnames that are being researched in a particular parish. I always if possible go to visit the Archive that holds the original to:

1. Check, and
    2. Get a copy of the entry for my own family archive

But the transcriptions can save a wasted journey, no point in visiting from far away only to find that there is nothing to find!

Thanks

Anne

Famous for offering help & advice

Thanks for the website address - very useful.

Arthur

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Power Weare

Power Weare is in my family line. He lived to a great age. Any chance of a view of his will?
    David

I notice that Joyce isn't too precise with her age on the census, and might have been born anytime between 1804 and 1811. I've had a look at a transcript of the marriage of James WARE to Elisabeth LATCHAM 21 Jan 1811. Both are of this parish; while Elisabeth signed, James made his mark. Witnesses at the marriage were William LATCHAM and Hannah SARGENT who both signed their names. It is worth noting that James WEARE was the son of Power WEARE and Mary, and Power's will mentions his daughter Anna Comfort WEARE. Given that Joyce & Elver use that name, it might be indicative of a link, although the name is not uncommon in the parish, nor is Elver as a male first name. I suggest that Joyce is a daughter of Elisabeth LATCHAM, born before her marriage in 1811, and thus grew up using both surnames, which is what she's done when the births were registered. Or was it the same person who registered each birth? You won't know unless you get all certificates, or at least one in each surname. I doubt that looking for a Quaker connection is going to give you any positive results - the other LATCHAM events in the parish are in the C of E records.
    There are no LATCHAM wills and only the one will for WEARE, Power, in 1814.
    PW

Wills are kept at Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre in Chippenham, just a short walk from the mainline railway from London to Bath. They were listed on the website for the centre and could be ordered. I think that there may now be a connection with one of the big commercial sites to provide the service at a fee. Worth checking, though. pwholt

Hollytree

Quote Originally Posted by roarster View Post
    Power Weare is in my family line. He lived to a great age. Any chance of a view of his will?
    David
    Haven't looked at this family for some time now, never really solved it. Haven't got the will of Power WEARE either. So sorry not really of any help.

pwholt has been the best helper and thanks for that, but what "big commercial site" has a connection now?

Anne

Apologies for some duff information above. The Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre has had their online catalogue operating through TNA's Discovery because their technology had been superseded and was not updated. Recently the catalogue has become accessible through Calmview. The full address is https://calmview.wiltshire.gov.uk?Calmview/ The online wills service has been shutdown due to problems with the server, and are not available in that method. The index can be searched on Calmview and digital copies ordered from the History Centre for a fee from the DVDs which are available to view in the History Centre where you can print your own copies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12