Mark Humphreys

Default Adoptions from India 1840's

Hi All Me again lol!
    This time i am trying to track a adoption that occurred in India in the 1840's.
    The lady in Question was Born in 1833 in Burma I am led to believe, and Married to my Grt Grt Grandfather Joseph Humphreys in 1847, in Madras he was serving in the Army.
    Record of service is as follows.
    December, 1845, brought the route for Madras, where we duly arrived after being 72 days at sea. December, 1847, the Regiment was ordered to Cannamore, 800 miles by sea; arrived in January, 1848, and remained till December, 1852, when the regiment was again shifted to Madras, where it remained till February 1854.
    My understanding this lass named Mary Jane Campbell was adopted by a William Campbell either a officer or a Magistrate.
    Any help offered would be muchly appreciated.
    Mark H
    Tasmania

Michelle550

Hi Mark,

I have the following information if it helps:

John HUMPHREYS and Mary Jane CAMPBELL
    John HUMPHREYS was born about 1832. He was later known as Captain john
    HUMPHREYS
    Mary Jane CAMPBELL was born about 1833 in Burma India. She was a full-blooded Indian.
    Elizabeth and John/William CAMPBELL adopted her.
    Captain John HUMPHREYS married Mary Jane CAMPBELL about 1847 Madras India
    The ship “Tararua” left Melbourne Australia 21 December 1876 on arrived Nelson NZ in
    January 1877 with the HUMPHREYS family in steerage.
    Mary Jane CAMPBELL died 16 October 1884 in Nelson New Zealand.

They are my ggg grandparents.

Michelle

Mark Humphreys

Hi Michelle How are you pleased to meet you,
    John was my Grt Grt Grandfather, I have over the years collected a bit of info on the man lol he is buried at Wakapuaka cemetery in nelson. What side of the family do you come from? I am from Augustus's line he was born Lahore 1878ish
    John Joseph Humphreys was born in 1822 in Bath then moved to Worcester in about 1828 i have a a fair bit of info in regards to the Humphreys family its Mary Janes family that is stumping me!. i currently live in Tasmania, and enjoy meeting distant rellys on the net and if i can help don't be a stranger!!! i am on facebook as are a number of our other cousins!!! Hope you can find the time to reply!!!!

Michelle550

Hi Mark,

Pleased to meet you also.
    Wow I am also from Augustus's line!
    Cyril Trevor Humphreys is my Pop's dad.
    I currently live in Canberra, ACT and have just started digging into the family history. It is very interesting and I'm really enjoying finding out about my distant relatives.
    Did you ever get to see the book 'The Indian connection'? It was put together in 2003 (i think) I am trying to get my hands on a copy for myself if at all possible.
    I would love to get more information on Mary Jane also.
    Thanks for your reply cousin :-)

Michelle

Mark Humphreys

Hi Michelle thanks for your reply i have Private messaged you to your inbox!!! I hope we may be able to help each other out and dispel some of the old family rumors!!
    your new found cousin
    Mark