Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    larmet1969

Default scrips farm bradwell essex

looking for info regarding scrips farm cutheadge lane bradwell my family worked there maybe even owned it not sure the surname was thompson
    1911 census
    thompson marcus farm foreman
    thompson elizabeth (nee bugg)
    thompson marcus
    thompson john
    thompson herbert
    thompson ernest ( my grandfather)
    thompson ellen

He is unlikely to ahve owned the farm if he was working there as the foreman. In 1901 he is working on another farm in Nayland, Suffolk but living in Bear Street, Nayland.

RG13; Piece: 1742; Folio: 95; Page: 16

Marcus THOMPSON 38 horsekeeper on farm b Essex, Boxted
    Elizabeth wife 45 b Nayland
    Marcus 13
    Elizabeth 12
    Charlotte 11
    William 9
    John 8
    Herbert 6
    Ernest 1
    Children all born Nayland
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

gasser

Scrips Farm was part of the Felix Hall Estate at Kelvedon, details of which can be found by google. The farm was of quite a good size with approx 270 acres. The estate was sold in 1913 and the national archives hold details.

larmet1969

hi thanks to sue mackay and gasser (wont ask why your called that ) there location in the 1911 census says they were living at blest end the only details i have of this location was from the local record office who said blest end was an area along cut headge lane when my uncle was young just after the war he says grandad took him to a large farm where there was a pond and a large cart shed with lots of old carts in it sorry dont know any more than that but grandad did tell the owners that the family owned the farm can the national records be veiwed online ? thanks kindley for your help

redrobin

Quote Originally Posted by larmet1969 View Post
    looking for info regarding scrips farm cutheadge lane bradwell my family worked there maybe even owned it not sure the surname was thompson
    1911 census
    thompson marcus farm foreman
    thompson elizabeth (nee bugg)
    thompson marcus
    thompson john
    thompson herbert
    thompson ernest ( my grandfather)
    thompson ellen
    I am the grand daughter of Marcus Thompson, he was the Manager of Scrips Farm. My mother was Ellen.

eileench

Marcus Thompson senior was my greatgrandfather and Marcus junior my grandfather. I have done quite a lot of research into our family history and would be happy to share my knowledge.

Welcome to both redrobin and eileench. It is great that this thread has brought you in contact. You will find that B-G is the greatest genealogy forum there is
    Sue Mackay

larmet1969

hi to you ive been researching for about twelve years to no avail then suddenly two appear thanks i would love any info like where was your family living as i struggled to find them on the census and any pictures would be most helpful to get a visual picture of the family as im afraid i only have a single photo of your great grandfather thanks for taking the time to reply to my posts and love to hear from you soon.

redrobin

There were nine children - Elizabeth and Charlotte are missing from your list. Herbert was killed during World war 1 - my mother said he was 23 years old. Not sure where or if he was buried but he was not brought back to England.

Quote Originally Posted by redrobin View Post
    Not sure where or if he was buried but he was not brought back to England.
    He is buried in Wimereux Cemetery, Pas de Calais, France

Deatils at https://www.
    cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=85128
    Sue Mackay

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast