Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    hummingbirds6

Question Greenwich Union Infirmary

I'm trying to find out information on the Union Infirmary in Greenwich,Greenwich east in the county of London back in 1892. My grandfather was born there. Not sure what happened after that for some time within the next 8 years his mom had died and he was in a boys home. It looks like he never lived with his father and sibblings.
    SO I was wondering what kind of hospital was it? Was it for poor or very ill people??

Name well known on Brit-Gen

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...?id=58&page=74

or Google Greenwich Union Infirmary, many sites come up there.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Reputation beyond repute

Have a look at workhouses.org.uk and go to the section on Greenwich.

Back in genealogical times the Poor Law Guardians carried out many "social service" functions including the provision of hospital services and the care of orphans.

Depending on the date, the Union Infirmary might be in effect a public health service hospital.

hummingbirds6

THANKS Waitabit & Peter for these ideas. I'll check them out.

psanford

Default Greenwich Union Infirmary

My Grandfather was born there in 1880
    Alfred Hayhurst and his mother were in Female Lock Hospital and Asylum Westbourne gardens in 1881 was this the same place

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by psanford View Post
    Alfred Hayhurst and his mother were in Female Lock Hospital and Asylum Westbourne gardens in 1881 was this the same place?
    No. Westbourne Gardens is in Paddington. Greenwich is in South East London. The Lock Hospital was a charitable institution, not run by a Board of Guardians (ie funded out of taxation). Wikipedia has an article -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Lock_Hospital

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi

If their admission and discharge records survive, then you will find them quite informative. They give date of admission, reason for admittance, by whose order, age, occupation and last known address. Often there are seperate registers for births and deaths in the workhouse or infirmary.

Ben

tumbleweed

New to the site I have been reading about the Greenwich Infirmary with great interest and I wonder if all yhou valuable experience can help me please? My gggran was there - but under a different name. Most odd, unless she suffered dementia, when I got the death cert it was made in the assumed name with a typed note on the right hand edge stating her real name, widow of etc, as verified by her son. Can't find ggrandad for love nor money - did she put him under an assumed name? Oooh, I'm itching now - how do I go about unravelling it all, any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance.

Reputation beyond repute

We're not nibbling at the bait yet, we're just sniffing cautiously. You'll need to tell us a bit more to get us really hooked.

Where did you get the death certificate from? What do you mean by the right hand edge? Do you mean the margin? That sounds most irregular.

What names were involved?

tumbleweed

Hello Peter,

The Death Cert has a box drawn around all the details and columns within. On the right hand edge, outside of the box, the Registrar has typed a lengthy note - In No.481 Col. 2 for "Amelia Moss" read "Mary Ann Amelia Vickers" and in Col 5 for Wife Of _____ Moss, Occupation unknown" read "Widow of Ebenezer Vickers, a boot closer". Corrected on the 15th July 1897 by me H.K. Lewis, Registrar on production of a statutory declaration made by Joseph Henry Vickers and Julia Vickers.
    As you say Peter, I was horrified when I first received this certificate, it states Amelia Moss, when I am hoping for Mary Ann Amelia Vickers. To read the note was a bit of a blow - no wonder I've had such trouble trying to find my gg grandparents - where did Ebenezer go? He obviously died before 1897.
    Are there many alterations noted like this? It does seem odd.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast