Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    WK1937

Default Sarah Ellis - married to George Nobles.

I am looking for the death of Sarah Ellis who married George Nobles at Sharnbrook in 1852. George was widowed on the 1861 census and subsequently remarried.

I have done numerous searches for the death with no luck so far and have even written to the Vicar of the local Church because other Nobles relatives are buried there. I expect he is too busy to reply.

Thinking she may have been registered under her maiden name, searches have been done for Ellis but now I am stuck. Any tips/hints would be enormously welcome. She was actually born in Willian, Hertford. Could she have been buried there instead?

Many thanks, Maureen.

Jan1954

Hello Maureen,

I had a quick look on FreeBMD for Sarah's death in Bedfordshire and the only one that came up was that for:

Sarah NOBLES, Wellingborough district, December quarter 1856, volume 3b, page 85.

I know that Wellingborough is in Northamptonshire, but the registration district covered parts of Bedfordshire.

In the same quarter is the death of an Ann NOBLES (3b, 83) so I was wondering if this was your Sarah, that she died in childbirth? Probably on the wrong track entirely, but thought it worth a shot....

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by WK1937 View Post
    ...have even written to the Vicar of the local Church because other Nobles relatives are buried there. I expect he is too busy to reply.
    One reason for not replying is because he hasn't got the burial register!

Practically all registers of that vintage will have been deposited at the county record office - see the website

https://www.bedfordshire.gov.uk/Commu...Registers.aspx

Sharnbrook Burials 1596-1959

It is a good idea to check the parish registers because civil registration procedures for deaths were not foolproof at that time.

WK1937

Thank you Jan - I got so excited when I read your post - UNTIL - I cross checked with some birth records for George/Sarah. Apparently they had another child who was born in the December quarter 1857 but died at 4 months. However your idea of Wellingborough I will follow up. You never know!

Best wishes Maureen.

WK1937

Thank you for the very good advice Peter which I shall follow up. I bless these forums - everyone is so helpful but not only that it is very educational.

Regards Maureen.

judyg

Hi Maureen,

This post caught my eye because part of my family research are the Nobles/Noble families of Warwickshire, Northamptonshire & Leicestershire.

When I began my research the first lesson I learned was that Nobles and Noble are interchangeable.

If the George Nobles you refer to in the 1861 census is the one located in Hampstead in London then the following death may be worth looking at

Deaths March 1860

Noble Sarah Hampstead Vol 1a Page 136

Cheers
    Judyg

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Practically all registers of that vintage will have been deposited at the county record office
    Perhaps I should have added that the CRO isn't the only place to see them if it isn't geographically convenient.

The Mormons have filmed the registers (FHL BRITISH Film 1279179 Items 5 - 14) and the Society of Genealogists library has the burial register 1813-1929 ((BE/REG/92812/1-15)

WK1937

Thank you Judyg, I have now got everything crossed that you are right. Yes George was at Hampstead in 1861 and lived there until he died very many years later. As all Sarah's children were born in Sharnbrook I naturally assumed they were living there when she died and that George moved to Hampstead after her death subsequently marrying again. The last child they had appears to have been born in 1857 but by 1858 she had died. I have found to my cost that ancestors do not always pass away where they were living at the time so maybe the Nobles moved to Hampstead between 1858 and 1860 and she died there. Oh I do hope you are right - I have been searching for so long.

Good luck with your own research, Maureen.

WK1937

Thank you Peter for your follow-up post. If Judyg's reference turns out to be the wrong Sarah, I will gladly click onto your links.

You are such a fund of knowledge - I have been doing my research for quite a number of years now but realise I have still got such a lot to learn. Perhaps I should have started at an earlier age!! Again, very many thanks, Maureen.

davidcarca

Be aware that the Beds parish register transcripts only go up to 1812. Perhaps the owners of Parish Chest ought to make that clear in their catalogue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast