Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

Stephen, are you aware that a researcher on another forum is offering digital photos of No. 2 Battery? See my post #6 above.

Davran, I don't think it has been suggested that the coastguards were in the village of Worth, but in the parish of Worth (as per the 1841 census, HO107; Piece 470; Book: 28; Civil Parish: Worth; County: Kent; Enumeration District: 5; Folios: 18-19; Pages: 8-10).
    Would that make more sense?

Kerrywood

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Because Coast Guard Stations were by their very nature in rather isolated locations, many took the name of the nearest village, which sometimes meant they appeared to be inland.

Martin

busyglen

I agree with that Martin.

Worth, was the Parish, and being a small village with nothing but fields etc. to one side leading to the sea, it would have been the ideal spot to place a Battery in the 1840's. I had a great Aunt who lived there when I was a child, but back in the 1840's there would not have been that many houses around.

Also, it was between Sandwich (which had a CG station) and Deal which had a larger station. The river Stour ran between these also making it ideal for sneaking boats in.

Glenys

busyglen

Just to add a bit more, I have just had occasion to check something up on my Kent CD for 1841, and came across Worth, which contained quite a few families of Coastguard Boatmen etc. with their families, and the address was Shingle End, Worth, so it would appear that there was a CG station in this area.

NB: Have also just come across the Sandhills 2 Battery, so there were a couple of stations there. Obviously quite important!

Glenys

sueannbowen

You know what everyone? This for me, is what makes this the most amazing forum ever. People are chipping in from all over - we have experts and locals and others and the end result whether or not you have an interest in Worth or Batteries or Coast Guards or Deal or all and any of the above - is fascinating.

Stephen Evans

Smile

Sueannbowen, As this great forum can boast as the Beatles song went 'With a little help from my friends" has made this posting interesting to others and thanks to the odd census like 1841.
    Research from here in Malta thanks to the Internet and Computers has certainly made life more helpful in this subject. The story goes on a great subject and sorry beats stamp collecting!
    From an island where it has been 96-100 degrees for the last five weeks, there are moments when one would like to be at No2 Battery and cooler climes.

Cheers

Siesta Time

sueannbowen

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    Apparently it was still there last April, according to a post on another forum

If you google Coastguard Sandwich Galbraith, the first result will take you to the relevant thread

Kerrywood
    Hi Kerrywood - what came up was this thread. I scrolled around but couldn't find another relating to Worth.

Sue

How bizarre - just tried again and up came the one you were talking about! t v m

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12