AnnB

Smile More Snippets from the North Devon Journal

A couple of deaths.........
    16.2.1827 On Tuesday, in the Workhouse, Moretonhampstead, where he had been an inhabitant for 44 years, Edward Smale, aged 75.
    20.4.1827 Tuesday last, at Teignmouth, at the advanced age of 108 years, Mr Robert Cotton. He retained his intellectual faculties till within the last year of his demise.

......and a couple of marriages, including an early 'toy-boy'
    25.5.1827 At Bideford, by the Rev. Wm. Walter, Mr William Rumson, of Combmartin, to Miss Ann Powe, daughter of Mr Robert Powe, Baker of Bideford, after a courtship, of 1 day, the parties first saw each other on Saturday morning, and were married on the Sunday morning following.
    1.6.1827 On Saturday last, by the Rev. Luxmoore, in this Town [most probably Barnstaple, as that is where the paper was published], Mr William Dalling to Mrs Prudence Hopkins. This is the third time the blooming bride has visited the Shrine of Hymen and her age is a little short of three time that of her present bridegroom.

Can anyone lay claim to any of these? (As always, the date is the date of the paper)
    Best wishes
    Ann

enito

Smile Robert Cotton

Ann,
    Robert is my 5th Great Grandfather, I have all the Cottons in dawlish, but do not know yet where Robert came from.
    regards.
    enito

AnnB

I think that is amazing I did wonder if anyone would lay claim to any of this (random) selection, and I did wonder if Robert Cotton really was 108! Are there any more takers out there?
    I'll be posting some more when I get together another interesting selection
    Best wishes
    Ann

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I thought I had already replied to this, but it seems to have gone astray. Robert Cotton was also my 5th Great Grandfather. Robert's great grandaughter Rosina emigrated to Australia where she married Joseph Argaet, also from Devon. Rosina is my second great grandmother.