norfolk white

Question George Dixon - Master Joiner

My great, great, great, great grandfather was born in Coniston, Lancashire, in 1778. At the time of his marriage to Margaretta Cowpland in 1802, it was recorded on his marriage record as being a Joiner. By the time of the 1851 Census he was recorded as being a Master Joiner.

Can anyone tell me what one had to do to become a Master Joiner? How long would he have been an apprentice before becoming a joiner in his own right? How long would it normally take from becoming a joiner to becoming a master joiner? Finally, would there have been many master joiners within the Coniston/Lake District area in the early 1800's?

Thanks for your advice/assistance.

Ivor

Hugh Thompson

Hello Ivor, you might find something a this site (below), as he would have more than likely belonged to something similar in Lancashire.
    Hugh.
    The Worshipful Company of Joiners and Ceilers of the City of London.

https://www.joinersandceilers.co.uk/

norfolk white

Thumbs up

Thanks Hugh,

I have emailed them asking for some info. e.g. what was a master joiner and how someone became one, etc. But if anyone else is able to give advice/assistance I'd appreciate it.

Ivor

Reputation beyond repute

The usual apprenticeship term was seven years. You became a master when you could set up in business on your own account, employing people and perhaps taking on apprentices yourself. When you might be in a position to do this depended on a lot a factors. Some people were journeymen throughout their working lives and never became masters.

Note that the writ of the city livery companies did not run to Lancashire!

To take it further with your man, have a read of this -
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sLeafletID=295

With luck you should be able to find details of his apprenticeship in the apprenticeship books.

Bear in mind that things changed and if he had been born 50 years later, a different answer would have applied.

norfolk white

Thumbs up Thanks

Peter,

Thank you very much for this info, very interesting. I will follow up as you have suggested, thanks again.

Ivor

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by norfolk white View Post
    Peter,

I will follow up as you have suggested
    Have a browse through the Parish Chest catalogue. Some of the records have been published on CD.

norfolk white

Thumbs up

Thanks Peter, I'll do that.

Ivor