Thread: Deacon

iandonnachie

Default Deacon

My Wife has name Deacon, her father was george born fife? arround 1907 wife believes original name may Deakin from England.

How could I find out more

Name well known on Brit-Gen

If you "Google": Deacon surname origin, Many sites come up that may help you out.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

JAP1

Hi iandonnachie,

Do you have any more information at all?

ScotlandsPeople has only one record for a George DEACON born between 1900 and 1910 - George DEACON born 1910 in Lochgelly, Fife.

I found this on ScotlandsPeople (you can Google for it) - it is a pay-per-view site.

However, perhaps you can get to New Register House in Edinburgh and do your research in person - more economical.

Scottish certificates contain a wealth of information.

If you know when George died, and if he died in Scotland, it would be worth getting his death certificate as (depending on the knowledge of the informant) it should give the name and occupation of his father, and the name and maiden surname of his mother.

Probably better to get his marriage certificate (if you know whom he married) as that information will have been provided by George himself.

Don't hesitate to ask further questions.

Best of luck,

JAP

iandonnachie

Hi
    since last time few years have gone by. I have found that thomas deacon married sarah mclaughlan nee mcrorie in 1900. she had children by her first marriage, she and thomas went on to have children of their own, he died in 1928. I am still struggling to find his parents etc. my wife's family have very little info on grandad thomas, so if anyone knows something I would be most grateful.

AnjaliUK

Hi, I tried to have a go at looking into this but could do with more information... where did Thomas and Sarah marry? Are you sure they are the right parents, as you only have an approximate birth year for George Deacon I assume you don't have his birth certificate or a parish record naming the parents? I see you are in Fife - you could look into where the parish records are held, they may be in a library nearby to you.

Do you have them in any census records? This would give you the ages and place of birth for Thos and Sarah that would help you find earlier generations. I don't think the Scottish 1911 census is available till next year, but you could try to find Thos and Sarah in the 1901 census.

Sorry, you may have already done all this but as you haven't mentioned it in your post, I am suggesting it anyway.

iandonnachie

Hi
    Thomas married in ochiltree Ayrshire 1900 he married mary(not sarah my mistake) she was a mccrorie, widow of mathew Mclaughlan, Thos father was james deacon both born england. Family have no information for me at all. Thanks for your interest

AnjaliUK

Quote Originally Posted by iandonnachie View Post
    Hi
    Thomas married in ochiltree Ayrshire 1900 he married mary(not sarah my mistake) she was a mccrorie, widow of mathew Mclaughlan, Thos father was james deacon both born england. Family have no information for me at all. Thanks for your interest
    Hi,

I recommend looking for these people in the censuses. You could get their ages from the marriage certificate, which would help, but I think I have them below in 1901. Hopefully they will be with their parents in the census at some point, which will give you their dates/places of birth. You can often keep tracking back through the generations until you get to 1841.

You can often access census records for free at local libraries and online they are available on several pay-per-view sites, with some websites offering sections for free. I use Ancestry, it has a low monthly fee which lets you have unlimited access, although they don't have images for Scotland, just transcriptions.

In 1901 (Ochiltree/3/Pge8) I found the family, there's Thomas (b. 1871 England) and Mary Deacon (b. 1870 Tarbolton, Ayrshire), 4 McCloughlin children and one Deacon child aged one, Agnes.

I had a quick look and did find a Thomas in the 1871 census b. 1871 with father James ( RG10/3279/ 33) but it's not definitely him of course, there are also Thomases born close to this DOB with father James and others who aren't with their parents. You could always look into the family further and see if this Thomas is in the 1901 census at the same time as your Thomas, or whether they moved to Scotland, or if there are any other clues that could help.

There may also be some clues in a family will, eg. if Thomas names any property in an English town it could help narrow down his place of birth.