Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    pipsqueak

Aha! Thanks.

Dorset901

Hi, just a little clarification over the Cherrington's and Casswells of Postland, Crowland, Lincs.
    Listed are a George and Ann, this is Ann Cherrington, and George was a Farmer, sometimes called a Grazer.
    They had 10 children, Frances, Stephen Cherrington, George, (mrd Sarah Edwards), John, Robert Hardy, Richard, Ann Cherrington, Elizabeth, Henry, and lastly Mary in 1805.
    The Cherringtons where also Farmers, as were John, Richard, and Henry, George was a Butcher in Eye.
    Regards.

Settling in

As I am in the Fens I think the washes mean exactly that. We are in an area below sea level..prone to flooding in days gone by ..and close by the Wash on the East coast here. Places around here named Holbeach Wisbech (capital of the Fens) suggest that and much mash land in name and manner(esp back in time). I know most of the places you have listed and the name Tooley I researched the other week being someone who related to the Bailey family through the late Ethal Fox I believe off top of my head...;-)

Settling in

I thought as much. And did reply yesterday...but for some reason I can't see it. Coming from a Fenland village ( and knowing almost all mentioned) I was pretty sure it it was to do with the tidal path's from way back. We are below sea level in the Fens..and lots of Marsh lands by name and nature along with our 'Wisbech and Holbeach'named Towns. And of course we are so close to the Wash on our east coast...

I can see two messages from you, this one I am replying to and the one immediately before it where you say that you are in the Fens. Is there another one missing?

BTW, have you noticed the dates on the other messages in this thread?

Settling in

Default The fens

No. Please forgive me. I don't seem to know how things work and end up with posting twice as I can't ever see the first post. Can I delete? And no I gave t noticed the date? I assumed this was a fast running forum site 😔

No need to delete - the messages are not identical. If you need to change or delete a message after a message has been published on the board, the best thing is to ask one of the Moderators (or Mods). We're easy to spot, the "title" is top left under our names on our messages. If there isn't one online (you can tell by the little dot to the right of member's names - green says they are online, white says they aren't), leave a personal message (PM). You do that by clicking on the actual name of the person you want to contact. You'll get a dropdown menu, use the 3rd option, put your request and they will get back to you when they are available. If you want more than one Mod to see your request (we are not all available all of the time), reply to the message you want changed - a Mod will see it and react.

As to how fast running we are, it all depends when someone with the answer you want turns up. We don't delete old threads unless they are obviously finished (eg if someone posts about a free offer with a time limit) as our members frequently put in a lot of work on a search and their replies can serve as an archive if a new member who's also related to that line joins. It's better than having to repeat everything.

BTW you can also see if someone has stopped being a member - it will say "guest"under their name, where it shows me as a Mod and you as a Newcomer.

There's a lot of help for new members on the "Navigating Brit-Gen" forum HERE. Messages marked as "sticky" stay at the top of the forum they are on because they contain general info relating to that group.

I must say that it's nice to see a new member providing help. Thank you. Your messages will not be wasted as other searchers will see them. You never know, the original poster may also return to see who answered (if the email address they registered with is still valid, they'll be notified that there's a reply on their thread).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12