Ron K

Default Whats the meaning of... Base Daughter?

Hi Can anybody let me know what it means when you see Base Daughter written down on a birth tanscript?

Thank you for your time.

MarkJ

It means that her father is unknown or the parents were not married. Often found in records in place of the other "B" word...

Sometimes you will see the name of the "reputed father" listed on the records too

Mark

Edit: There is a good discussion about the various terms for illegitimate children on the forum - the link can be found here

Ron K

Thank you for that Mark.
    I guess in cases such as this a father could not be found then and so the trail ends there as far as a family tree goes.

Thanks again.

Ron K

Reputation beyond repute

It's not necessarily the end of the road. The book My Ancestor was a Bastard (available through Parish Chest) is informative and describes possible approaches.

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ron K View Post
    Thank you for that Mark.
    I guess in cases such as this a father could not be found then and so the trail ends there as far as a family tree goes.

Thanks again.

Ron K
    As Pam and Peter have suggested, it isn't always a dead end. Bastardy bonds are worth checking out, as is the original parish register. Sometimes the priests listed the reputed father, but not always, sadly.
    It may involve a bit more digging than a straightforward baptism, but tracking down the father may be interesting!

I think most of us have a few such cases in our trees - luckily for me, the majority of mine have left a convenient trail, one of the fathers is named on a Bastardy Bond and the other was named by the vicar who did the baptism, plus mother gave him the fathers surname

One perhaps for when you have a bit of time Ron. But certainly worth investigating!

Mark

Ron K

Hi Bo Peep whats Bastardy Bonds?
    I would like to go back more in my tree if i can.

Peter thanks for that i will try to get a copy of that book.

Thanks for the tip Mark and i will try to get back and gather any info i can.

MarkJ

A good quick rundown on Bastardy Bonds, where to find them and what they are was penned by Geoffers on the forum a while back -

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ad.php?t=43258

Worth a quick look
    Note the various timescales later in the thread - it depends when this child was born as to whether Bastardy Bonds will be useful or not.

Mark

Ron K

Thats great thank you Mark.
    I'll go and give it a good read.