Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    cazm17

Default 1901 census help

I wonder if anyone can help with a lookup. I am trying to trace a relative who according to his marriage certificate (of which I have the original) is called Alfred William Page, yet according to one of those little cards printed following his death was Alfred Henry Page.

According to the certificate, at the time of his marriage on 15/4/1906 he was aged 22, so that puts his birth c1884. His father according to the cert is William Page. He was married in Poplar, London, so I am guessing that he grew up there at least.

However, neither I nor my friend can find a link in the 1901 census. I also looked in the 1891 and no joy there. Unless I'm being particularly thick (I was looking up several different things prior to that!), we cannot find this man. My friend has had the same problem where whole families use their middle names, and has advised me to look for anyone with the middle name of Alfred instead.

Is anyone able to look into this for me, and see if they can help me find him? I'm fairly new to all this, and I'd hate to have to give up at such an early stage! Thanks!

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by cazm17
    a relative who according to his marriage certificate is called Alfred William Page, yet according to one of those little cards printed following his death was Alfred Henry Page. According to the certificate, at the time of his marriage on 15/4/1906 he was aged 22, so that puts his birth c1884. His father according to the cert is William Page. He was married in Poplar, London, so I am guessing that he grew up there at least.
    There are several possible matches on the 1901 census. Looking just for Alfred Page, aged about 17, there is a match in Mile End Old Town:

Alfred Page, 17, Labourer Dock, bn Limehouse

So his dad, William was probably at least 35. Looking for William Page in Meile End Old Town then throws up the following possible matches:

William Page, 35, Waterside Labourer, bn London
    William Page, 36, Inspector Met Police, bn Shewsbury
    William Page, 39, general carman, bn Bethnal Green
    William Page, 48, labourer's bricklayer, bn Islington
    William Page, 55, Boot finisher, bn Bethnal Green

What was his father's occupation on the marriage certificate - can you narrow down the list, above? Who were the witnesses to the marriage - any Pages who might be found in the 1901 census?

Have you tried lookig in the GRO index for Alfred's birth about 1884? You might be able to confirm the name and rough birthpalce.

Don't give up yet, you've only just started!
    Geoffers

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I am trying to trace a relative who according to his marriage certificate (of which I have the original) is called Alfred William Page, yet according to one of those little cards printed following his death was Alfred Henry Page.
    My granddad was born Thomas William. Married as Thomas Frederick. Called himself Thomas Frederick when he registered the birth of two of his children. Then my aunt and I had a horrible moment when we thought that he might have been buried as Thomas Walter, but no, he was buried as Thomas William.
    Your Alfred could have decided he didn't like the name William and decided he wanted to be a Henry. Have you got the death certificate? Who was the informant? The information on any certificate is only as reliable as the informant (in the case of my granddad - not very ) and especially so with death certificates because the person you're talking about isn't standing at your shoulder to contradict you when you give a wrong date of birth etc.
    There is also the possibility that someone could have left him some money in a will on the condition that he called himself Alfred Henry.

Pam Downes

Mark

There is a "Alfred Page" birth registered in Poplar Reg District Mar quarter 1884.

Mark

cazm17

I haven't got the death certificate yet, so can't confirm what his name would have been at death or who registered it

The marriage certificate shows father William as "labourer". I am hoping to find some information in the 1891 or 1901 census (checking by household) that will cross-check Alfred and him at the same address, or is that just wishful thinking?!

No more clues from the marriage certificate, the witnesses were William Haynes and Ellen Wilson. Ellen is obviously related to the bride, Rebecca (how, I don't know, that's another mystery), but I have no record of Haynes anywhere in the family, possibly just a married-in relation or best friend.

Thanks for helping me regain my sanity and the will to continue the search!

Mark

Ellen is obviously related to the bride, Rebecca (how, I don't know, that's another mystery), but I have no record of Haynes anywhere in the family, possibly just a married-in relation or best friend.

Thanks for helping me regain my sanity and the will to continue the search!
    "obviously"? Maybe if we knew Rebecca's full name, we could find her on the Census just in case she's living somewhere near Alfred.

Mark

cazm17

The bride was "Rebecca Wilson". The marriage certificate shows Alfred and Rebecca living at "6 Mary's Place, Poplar".

I looked through the 1891 census on fiche the other day in my local family history centre, and found what I think is an entry for Rebecca's household in Bethnal Green, East. Unfortunately I cannot read the address The reference is RG12-0268 folio 101, and it was no 81 on the schedule (right at the top of the page).

Feel like I'm going round in circles on this one...

janbooth

Default Rebecca Wilson

Page No is 14 and the Road is Ellesmere Road. Would you like a copy of the actual image?

Janet.

cazm17

No, it's OK, I have one now, I just couldn't read it!

Reputation beyond repute

The marriage certificate shows father William as "labourer". I am hoping to find some information in the 1891 or 1901 census (checking by household) that will cross-check Alfred and him at the same address, or is that just wishful thinking?!

Not wishful thinking at all.

Could you bring us up to date on where you are? Have you followed up the possibilities in the 1901 census that Geoffers provided?

For example, have you checked the William Page, 48, b Islington who appears to be in the same household as the Alfred Page aged 17 b Limehouse?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast