perisama

Question Settlement papers

How does one go about finding Settlement papers. i have been searching Oxfordshire where my chap settled but no luck. I don't know where he originated from.

sueannbowen

Hi there - I am no expert but I think that if he had a job and could support himself and his family there would have been no need for settlement papers. I think it was only an issue if you had no work and turned up looking for work that the locals were worried that you might be a drain on their resources. Then you would need a guarantee from your own area that they would pay your way if you fell on hard times. I think that records for this sort of thing occur in Vestry minutes.
    I bet someone else on here knows more than me about it though! Do you know what his occupation was?

Sue

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by perisama
    How does one go about finding Settlement papers. i have been searching Oxfordshire where my chap settled but no luck. I don't know where he originated from.
    Examinations and settlements for Oxfordshire should be held by Oxfordshire RO - but they don't always survive. What period are you looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by sueannbowen
    I think that if he had a job and could support himself and his family there would have been no need for settlement papers
    In the hope that my memory hasn't failed, settlements were gained by:

Renting a tenement woth more than £10 per annum
    Paying poor rates
    Serving as a parish officer
    Being bound apprentice in the parish by indenture
    Serving a year in service, if unmarried
    Being hired as a labourer for one year

I'm sure someone will add any which I've forgotten.

perisama

James PRATT was a shoemaker around the mid 1700's. I contacted the Northampton shoe museum cos they keep records going way back but he wasn't there. Oxford have no record of him and now I think I will have to start searching all the surrounding Counties.

Geoffers

If he was a shoemaker around the mid-1700's he may appear in the Board of Stamps apprencticeship books

sueannbowen

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    In the hope that my memory hasn't failed, settlements were gained by:

Renting a tenement woth more than £10 per annum
    Paying poor rates
    Serving as a parish officer
    Being bound apprentice in the parish by indenture
    Serving a year in service, if unmarried
    Being hired as a labourer for one year

I'm sure someone will add any which I've forgotten.
    I ust have been thinking of something else then. Sorry.

perisama

Can I be a cheeky so and so and ask if anyone has a copy of the Board of stamps apprenticeship books ? And wouls they be willing and able to see if my James Pratt ,Shoemaker is therein?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

In case it helps, abstracts of the Apprenticeship Tax Books are available online at Origins.net, which has a 72 hour subscription option.

Geoffers

See Kerrywood's reply above

Quote Originally Posted by perisama
    Can I be a cheeky so and so and ask if anyone has a copy of the Board of stamps apprenticeship books ? And wouls they be willing and able to see if my James Pratt ,Shoemaker is therein?
    In case you aren't aware, this is a rather big favour that you are asking. These are facsimiles of original books and are not indexed, although partially arranged by county. I have extracted and indexed the 10,000+ entries for Norfolk, which may give you some idea of the numbers of records available.

perisama

Ah... no I didn't realise... better if I go to Parish Chest then and do some shopping.