Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Boy registered as a girl????

I am researching my great uncle Alexander (Alec) Tarrant who was born about 1895 and was killed in 1918 during WW1. He was serving with the 3rd Dragoon Guards (although his medal card states the 6th.)

My problem is that I cannot find his birth certificate although he was born locally. I have found the registration of Alice Tarrant (born 17 Dec 1895) and this has named the same parents and I have not come across her before. All the rest of the family have had their births registered so why hasn't Alec. Could it have been recorded incorrectly.

1901 census records him as living at home with his parents. Name stated as Alec (although transcribed as Alic).
    1911 census shows him at the local workhouse in Keynsham with his younger brother Herbert as their parents had died. His name is recorded as Alexander.

Thanks

Mike

LindaJ

Where was he born? Free BMD show a birth in West Ham in 1893

Both of the census show him as being born in Oldland, Gloucestershire as were the rest of the family. The local registration district was Keynsham.

MythicalMarian

It's a long shot but possible, I suppose. However, I would have expected Mum/Dad when they registered him to have said whether he was male or female. As for Alexander - he may well have been registered as Alec and the workhouse simply assumed that this was short for Alexander when in fact it wasn't. This happened a lot. I have a Sally whom officialdom often wrote down as Sarah, even though she had been christened a Sally. It often happens too with Betty - the powers that be write Elizabeth as a matter of form.

Was your Alec the eldest child? Is there a possibility he was born before wedlock to Mum alone and registered in her name?

Reputation beyond repute

What about church records?

Mutley

He seems to be listed on the CWGC site, though I realise you must have this information but it may help others searching for you.
    Name: TARRANT
    Initials: A
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: 3rd Dragoon Guards (Prince of Wales' Own)
    Date of Death: 27/03/1918
    Service No: 7391
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: III. A. 1.
    Cemetery: Noyon New British Cemetery

I am sure you can get a death certificate. I know I have one for one of mine and it gives his full name and age.
    Is his service record available? that would give his birth date.

Jane Elderfield

Mike--

There's another birth on freebmd:

TARRANT Alexander Ralph (or Rolph) Dec. 1898 Christchurch 2b 660

It's a long way from later home! Alec might have lied about his age to join up younger....

Your friend--Jane Elderfield

Thanks for all the replies/suggestions.

Marian, Alec was the second youngest of 12 and now with Alice maybe 13. Come to think of it my mother always told me that her father (the second eldest son and fifth in line) was one of 13.

Peter, I'm sure I know where the family were baptised so I will try there. Do I have just have to contact the present clergy?

Mutley, I didn't know that you could obtain death certificates for those killed in WW1 although I had wondered about it. Would they be available through GRO? His service record may be available via the regiment website?

Jane, Thanks for the information but I'm quite sure he was born locally as his father was a miner as were many of the family later working in the South Wales coalfield.

Thanks again to one and all.

Mike

Mutley

I think the death certificate comes from the GRO. A relative found mine years ago, I think back before the internet. I found this on Anc***ry. Could it be him? Still not a date of birth but the place may help.

Alec Tarrant
    Birth Place: St. Ann's, Bristol
    Residence: Brecon
    Death Date: 27 Mar 1918
    Enlistment Location: Bristol
    Regiment: Household Cavalry and Cavalry of the Line (incl. Yeomanry and Imperial Camel Corps)
    Battalion: 3rd Dragoon Guards (Prince of Wales Own).
    Number: 7391
    Type of Casualty: Killed in action
    Theater of War: Aldershot

Thanks Mutley. Yes this is him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast