Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    custard_pot

I telephoned Exeter registration services where all Devon (except Plymouth and Torbay) records are kept but they said they do not have search facilities and for them to do anything I would have to know where and when she was born. They suggested I get in touch with GRO, which I did but with the range of years I have and the Surname I was told they would get too many possibles and would not be able to sort it out.

I just don't know what I can do now.

Christine

custard_pot

I have got the certificate for Charlotte Jane Jeffery and it looks as if I might be getting somewhere. On the certificate

Charlotte Jane Jeffery - 21st Feb 1904 - 17 Victory Street Devonport

Father - Thomas Jeffery - Occupation - Foreman of Keyham Extension

Mother - Sarah Jeffery formely Polcock

Thomas's occupation fits in with marriage certificates as Keyham Extension was an extension to Dockyard.

Christine

DOB7

Sarah Jane POCOCK married in the Dec qtr 1883, Totnes district vol 5b page 306 to either David DAVIES or James PERRING. The spelling POLCOCK doesn't appear on FREEBMD anywhere.
    Here is Sarah in 1881:
    William SMITH Head W Male 61 London City, London, Middlesex, England Metal Broker
    Amelia T. SMITH Daur U Female 33 Hackney, Middlesex, England No Occupation
    Fanny M. SMITH Daur U Female 31 Islington, Middlesex, England No Occupation
    Emily SMITH Daur U Female 29 Islington, Middlesex, England No Occupation
    Sarah POCOCK Servt U Female 24 Brixham, Devon, England Domestic Cook
    Alice EVERARD Servt U Female 28 Roxwell, Essex, England Domestic Parlourmaid
    Sarah A. BALCOMBE Servt U Female 21 Croydon, Surrey, England Domestic Housemaid
    Source Information:
    Dwelling Carshalton Rd Little Russels
    Census Place Sutton, Surrey, England
    Family History Library Film 1341178
    Public Records Office Reference RG11
    Piece / Folio 0758 / 61
    Page Number 4

I couldn't locate a marriage between Thomas JEFFERY & Sarah (DAVIES or PERRING).

Nicolina

there is something weird here. I checked the 1871 Census for Sarahs born Cawsand (birthplace from 1901 Census) in 1861 + - 2 years and found 3.
    Sarah Jane Hoskin, daughter of John, born 1861
    Sarah Ann Martin, daughter of John Bral & Sarah Jane, born 1859
    Sarah Loy Wilton, daughter of William & Eliza Margaret, born 1862

I then checked for a marriage of Sarah Jane Hoskin and found:
    Marriages Dec 1882
    Hoskin Sarah Jane Plymouth 5b 474

and on the same page:

Jeffery Thomas Pinwill Plymouth 5b 474

goodness knows where the Polcock comes from.
    Elaine

DOB7

I checked Plymouth marriages vol 1 from the DFHS - Thomas Pinwill JEFFERY married Sarah Jane HOSKIN 28 Dec 1882 at Plymouth St Andrew. However, they are a completely different family, shown in 1891:
    Piece: RG12/1746 Place: Stoke Damerel -Devon Enumeration District: 3
    Civil Parish: Stoke Damerel Ecclesiastical Parish: St James The Great
    Folio: 77 Page: 12 Schedule: 90
    Address: 14 Martin Ter
    Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
    JEFFERY Thomas P Head M M 32 Carpenter Royal Navy(Em'ee) Cornwall - Millbrook
    JEFFERY Sarah J Wife M F 30 Cornwall - Cawsand
    JEFFERY Thomas J Son - M 6 Scholar Cornwall - Cawsand
    JEFFERY Rosina M Dau - F 4m Cornwall - Cawsand

Default Sarah Jeffery plymouth

Quote Originally Posted by custard_pot View Post
    I am trying to find the birth of my Grandmother Sarah Jeffery but not having much luck. Trouble is that from certificates and census I have 5 possible birth years for her, 1887, 1888, 1889, 1890, 1891. So I thought I would try to find births of her siblings but no luck there either.

I have Sarah born at either Ilfracombe or Knowle Devon. She married William Albert Ansted in Exeter on 4/2/1911 age 22.

She married my Grandfather William Charles Summerfield in East Stonehouse on 26/12/1916 age 25.

She died at 123E King Street Plymouth on 24/2/1966 age 78

I tried to find birth of Charlotte Jeffery c1903 Plymouth Devon (from 1911 census) she married Frank Lomax at Plymouth Jun Q 1922. The only birth I can find is Charlotte Jane Jeffery Mar Q 1904 Devonport.

If I got in touch with Plymouth Registry Office and gave the information on her parents that I know, which is her Father was Thomas Jeffery and Mother was Sarah would I get charged. I know if I do it through GRO I would get charged £4 administration even if its the wrong certificate.

Or can anyone help find the birth.

Christine
    My great grandmother was Sarah Jeffery married William Anstead then William summerfield Sarah was born 1889 and had my gran Alice in 1907 who went on to have 5 children
    So we are related
    Allison

Just for Information - custard_pot hasn't been on the forum for a couple of years now so she might not see your message. If she has the notificiations set then she should get an email - always assuming her email address is still the same. we have no other way of contacting her.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12