Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Martha Maggs

Thanks to the transcribers at Bathhundredforum I now know that Joseph Maggs m Martha Hulance (or Hulonce) on 24 Feb 1780 St Michaels, Bath

and that William George (probably the brother John George mentioned in his will) M Elizabeth Hulance (widow) on 7 Jan 1765. St Michaels

I dont have a baptism for her but it would make a lot of sense if Martha was Elizabeths daughter - which would make her John George's step-neice.

There was also a marriage at St Swithins 30 Nov 1867 of Alexander Shepherd to Sarah Hulins (Hulonce)
    Only offspring I have found so far is William in 1775 but again it would make sense if they had a daughter Sarah at about the right date.
    Although Joseph & Hester are still favouries for her parents until I find something positive.

jeresearcher

Default Joseph & Martha Maggs

My wife, Mary Ann Wellington, is a direct descendant of a Martha Maggs born in England about 1822. Martha married Henry Archer Gibbs about 1843. They had 5 children, Henry C. Archer Gibbs, Fred, Lillie, Amy & Esther Emily [wife's ancestor] born 18 Nov. 1858. Esther Emily Gibbs reportedly owned or worked in a bookstore at #1 Old King St. in Bath before she emigrated to the USA in 1876 & married Charles Wellington. Both Martha & Henry Gibbs died in Detroit Michigan in 1901. Martha's mother died in England in 1841.
    I don't know if there is a connection but if anyone has any information on Martha Maggs & Henry Archer Gibbs ancestors it would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry Pearson

Hollytree

Quote Originally Posted by jeresearcher View Post
    My wife, Mary Ann Wellington, is a direct descendant of a Martha Maggs born in England about 1822. Martha married Henry Archer Gibbs about 1843. They had 5 children, Henry C. Archer Gibbs, Fred, Lillie, Amy & Esther Emily [wife's ancestor] born 18 Nov. 1858. Esther Emily Gibbs reportedly owned or worked in a bookstore at #1 Old King St. in Bath before she emigrated to the USA in 1876 & married Charles Wellington. Both Martha & Henry Gibbs died in Detroit Michigan in 1901. Martha's mother died in England in 1841.
    I don't know if there is a connection but if anyone has any information on Martha Maggs & Henry Archer Gibbs ancestors it would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry Pearson
    Did you know that the Bath BMDs are transcribed here https://www.bathbmd.org.uk/

I had a quick look and found a marriage of

Bath Register Office 1843
    Henry ARCHER
    Martha GIBBS

and subsequent births at Landsdown with a mother previous surname of MAGGS, of:

Henry C ARCHER 1843
    Frederick George ARCHER 1845
    Eliza Ellen ARCHER 1847
    Martha Emily ARCHER 1851
    Amelia ARCHER 1853
    Esther Esther ARCHER 1858

Anne

The marriage certificate for your Martha Maggs would give you her parents - possibly my Joseph & Martha abut I habe no further information about them

I just noticed an error in my earlier post Alexander Sheppard & Sarah married 1767 not 1867

Hollytree

Quote Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
    Did you know that the Bath BMDs are transcribed here https://www.bathbmd.org.uk/

I had a quick look and found a marriage of

Bath Register Office 1843
    Henry ARCHER
    Martha GIBBS

and subsequent births at Landsdown with a mother previous surname of MAGGS, of:

Henry C ARCHER 1843
    Frederick George ARCHER 1845
    Eliza Ellen ARCHER 1847
    Martha Emily ARCHER 1851
    Amelia ARCHER 1853
    Esther Esther ARCHER 1858

Anne
    Sorry, names wrong........... of course her name is MAGGS at marriage........... going ga ga I'm afraid. But this site is very good, becus it gives you the maiden surname of the mother much earlier than the GRO does.......... sorry for the confusion

Anne

jeresearcher

Default Joseph & Martha Maggs

Thank you all very much for your prompt replys and information. I am convinced that Henry Archer & Martha Maggs are the ancestors I am seeking & I strongly suspect that Martha Maggs parents are the Joseph [butcher] and Martha Maggs originally noted. I am confused as to the Gibbs surname, especially since Esther Archer named one of her children Henry Gibbs Wellington,but I will check back with my source, Ester's granddaughter.

jerry

Just to update in case anyone is interested, since Ancestry released the Somerset PRs I have found the baptism of Sarah daughter of Alexander and Sarah in 1772, so she was a little older than I thought, her age at burial was probably an approximation. I also discovered that John GEorge was a witness at the marriage of Martha to Joseph Maggs, so I am fairly convinced tht my theory is justified.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12