Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Default Winifred RADDALL plus Nellie and Thomas

Winifred's birth was registered December quarter 1905, in Elham registration district, and she was born in Hythe..
    She was the daughter of Thomas Head Raddall and Ellen Gifford, and with her family sailed to Halifax Nova Scotia in 1913.
    She died, aged 103, on June 8th 2009, and I have a copy of her obituary which I can scan and send.
    She was married first to Louis J Charron, and then to Lawrence J Merlin.

Her sister Nellie's birth was registered in September quarter 1901, and brother Thomas' in December quarter 1903. Winifred's obituary also says there is another sister, Hilda, but I can't find a birth registration in The GRO Index, so I presume Hilda was born after the family left England.
    Brother Thomas became a famous Canadian author, and if you google Thomas Head Raddall you will find extra info re Winifred's father, as well as info about Thomas the author.
    Pam

Mutley

There is a 1904 Dartford registration for a Hilda Violet Reddall 2a/584. I know Eastry is Canterbury way so I doubt it but....

Lots of history on Eastry and some family history stuff here though I would imagine you have seen it already Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    There is a 1904 Dartford registration for a Hilda Violet Reddall 2a/584. I know Eastry is Canterbury way so I doubt it but....

Lots of history on Eastry and some family history stuff here though I would imagine you have seen it already Pam
    Hi Mutley,
    I would think that you've found Hilda's birth as Nellie's birth was also registered in Eastry.
    Hope you didn't spend too much time on your Eastry search as the Raddalls are no relation to me (well, not yet known to be ). My apologies for not clarifying that.
    I've been on holiday in Nova Scotia, and as I had nothing better to do with my time I perused the obituaries in the local paper. I think Winifred's was the first one I read and when I saw how detailed the obituaries are in that paper (The Chronicle Herald) I collected all the pages I could and I've bought them home with me to peruse in more detail and then where possible post details on the relevant boards. I know I have two to post for ladies born in Scotland, and one for a man born in Ireland.
    The paper and its obituaries are also online, so I'll be posting 'how to access' details in the Newspaper thread.
    Pam

Mutley

Hello Pam,
    I was a bit confused over what question you were asking.
    Now I realise you were giving not taking.

Sounds a good resource.

If anyone comes to this thread after today wanting a copy of Winifred's obituary, I'm afraid you'll have to apply direct to The Chronicle Herald in Nova Scotia. (Google will find it, then search obituaries, and there's a link to obituaries older than the previous seven days.) Pieces of paper with no relevance to my family history have to go!
    The obituary was published on page B11 on Wednesday 10 June 2009.

Pam

Tompaisley

Default Hmmm

This is an odd thread to come across. I actually knew these people.

Do you have any connection with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Winifred's birth was registered December quarter 1905, in Elham registration district, and she was born in Hythe..
    She was the daughter of Thomas Head Raddall and Ellen Gifford, and with her family sailed to Halifax Nova Scotia in 1913.
    She died, aged 103, on June 8th 2009, and I have a copy of her obituary which I can scan and send.
    She was married first to Louis J Charron, and then to Lawrence J Merlin.

Her sister Nellie's birth was registered in September quarter 1901, and brother Thomas' in December quarter 1903. Winifred's obituary also says there is another sister, Hilda, but I can't find a birth registration in The GRO Index, so I presume Hilda was born after the family left England.
    Brother Thomas became a famous Canadian author, and if you google Thomas Head Raddall you will find extra info re Winifred's father, as well as info about Thomas the author.
    Pam

Hi Tompaisley,

Welcome to Brit-Gen.

No, I have no connection to Winifred or her family. As I said in post #3, I found Winifred's obituary when I was holiday in Nova Scotia in 2009 and posted brief details in the Kent forum in case anyone found they were related to her/her family but couldn't find any trace of her/them in the UK.

People such as Winifred who marry/live/die in a place/county/country other than which they were born in become what family history researchers call 'strays', and if we note such details it can help others.

Pam

Tompaisley

Gotcha. She was my great Aunt. I was actually at her funeral as well. Nellie was my Grandmother. It was just odd to run across a post like that.

Thanks