Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Towandaa

Hello all! Just joined a couple of days ago. What a great thread. I am also researching the Lawson - Constant line for two reasons one being general family genealogy and the second is more specific due to DNA testing. Catherine Constant Smith Lawson is my direct female ancestor and i have rather speculatively only found two generations more for her and am stuck. I will put those names out in a further post as I feel rather long-winded already.

The possible Irish roots of the Captain is a huge brickwall so any tidbits are welcome. Besides what has already been shared, I can only contribute the gossip from my side of the family. The story of an inheritance gone unclaimed was passed down as a tale of when Thomas arrived in Australia his hair had turned prematurely white during the voyage and due to this change of appearance could not prove his identity. Any addition to that could be quite interesting.

My interest in Ireland would be to ask is there anything besides the New Zealand marriage record that says Ireland on it? Or family information? I ask to try and verify this, but also since the marriage record insinuates that they are both from Ireland I find interesting. If Thomas had jumped ship to marry Catherine and move on to Australia, is it possible they said Ireland just to muddy their trail?

Back to dear grandma Catherine-- (who was baptized Kitty if you are trying to find that record, and confused us all for decades with the Constance/Constant problem. It interchanges as a surname and has been used quite nicely as a first name, so search with both. This wasn't a middle name, it was simply her surname.) As my direct matriarch, I hope I don't end up flinging myself in the river but who knows, she may be on to something there. She is neither lost nor forgotten!

Cheers to you all, I have quite a tree to research, 100% UK, though I have detoured and ended up being born in the USA. I am with you in spirit and look forward to many lively discussions!

dgrubb

Welcome Towandaa,
    It is great to have a new contributor and we are looking forward to your contributions.

Towandaa

Thank you! Glad to connect up with cousins and neighbors across the other pond. Here is what I have surmised in case anyone else stumbles upon this thread and doesn't have my profound thoughts... yet...

As I said, Catherine was baptized Kitty and I don't think she cared for that name. In every reference and census she gives her name as Catherine. Since that is also on her gravestone and death certificate, I am not sure anyone else was supposed to know. I have the christening as 28 Nov 1819, in Rugby, Warwickshire. I have her father as Joseph Constant (b. 15 May 1796, Frankton, War., d. 8 May 1862 in Rugby). There are other Constant/Constance in the neighborhood, so sometimes it is hard to tell who is who. I have Mary Ann Howard as Catherine's mother, b.1799 in Barby, Northhamptonshire, which record I cannot locate. Mary Ann died in Rugby in January of 1870.
    I have Joseph and Mary getting married 4 Nov 1816 in Chesterton, War. I have 13 children listed, so if this is of interest, let me know. This marriage record is where I got Mary Ann's maiden name. If I have the wrong Joseph and Mary then I have the wrong name. It is my best guess for right age, right time, right name, etc. but I know duplicates pop out of the woodwork once I commit.
    My next best guess are Mary Ann's parents, whom I think are Thomas Howard and Ann Bradshaw, married in Newbold-on-Avon, war, 13 May 1799. There I am stuck. Ann is the new matriarch of my mitochondrial dna. So i guess I could track down another direct unbroken female line and see if we match... I have Robert Constant and Ann Hailey as Joseph's parents. Married 25 Mar 1784. That may be one of the banns dates. I am not sure on the Constant line. They were in Frankton for a few generations and there are two possibilities for the line. No matter what, either father or uncle and it still goes back to the same grandpa. Haven't committed to anything yet for Robert. I have listed Dennis and Elizabeth for Ann Hailey, but that is scavenged information if I recall and isn't totally in stone.
    So that is about it for information until we can flesh this out a bit more. Happy to talks, share or speculate out loud with anyone. I love trying to figure out what the old folks were up too!!!

kadav

Default Rosa Alice CURTIS

I stumbled on this thread some years ago, was very surprised to find it is still alive and hope some people out there are still watching and may have uncovered more information.

My particular concern is the wife of Thomas Lacey jnr. as I have not been able to find what happened to her & her children, the connection:
    Elizabeth Ann DAVIS b.1842 Surrey, England to Thomas DAVIS & Matilda WATTS
    Thomas, wife & 3 children arrived South Australia 1849 on the STEBONHEATH. My ggrandfather John Frederick b.13 July 1856 Clare, S.A.
    Thomas drowned (most likely whilst drunk) in the River Murray 15 Dec 1856. There was no death registration for Thomas DAVIS however the story of Matilda's requests, now with 6 children, to the Destitute Board can be followed on Trove. The papers suggested there would be an inquest into Thomas' death, that never happened. I believe his death was written off as William DAVIS 21 July 1857, I checked the original for that, all fits and the date given is the date of registration not of death, presumably to tidy up paper work.
    By the last report on Matilda it looks as though Elizabeth was off to work.
    SOUTH AUSTRALIAN REGISTER, Tuesday 22 September 1857, p.2
    DESTITUTE, BOARD.,………
    An application was read from Dr. Webb, Chairman of the District Council, for relief for Mrs. Matilda Davis .......... It was also stated that Mrs. Davis had two children, of 13 and 16 years, who should be able to work, and she was herself not reported to be in ill health. The rations allowed for one month only.

Elizabeth Ann DAVIS married John CORTIS/CURTIS at Clare S.A. 1860, their first born:
    Rosa Alice CURTIS married Thomas Lacey LAWSON jnr. - you have their details.
    Their children:
    Elizabeth Clara LAWSON b.10 Oct 1881 in the Hundred of Cavinagh, South Australia
    John James LAWSON b.3 Apr 1883 at Yatta Creek near Williamstown, died in the Hundred of Morgan 8 Dec 1883 age 8 months, Last residence Yatina, South Australia
    Elibra Ann LAWSON b.3 Mar 1885 at Amyton, South Australia

Trees on Ancestry have Thomas Lacey jnr. as dying 1900, I think that highly unlikely:
    THE SOUTH AUSTRALIAN POLICE GAZETTE, 4 Nov 1903, p.188
    Apprehensions during the week
    Thomas Lacy Lawson, by M.C. Dow as a pauper lunatic, at Barossa, discharged.
    Contacts in the past, possibly including jo-rae-me, indicate that Thomas jnr. died 1921 in an Ararat, Victoria insane asylum.

As for the fate of Rosa & the children I have nothing although they did seem to have a hard life:
    THE SOUTH AUSTRALIAN POLICE GAZETTE, 15 Feb 1888 p.39 & 7 Mar 1888 p.188
    Missing Friends Information is requested of Rosa Lawson, a married woman, who, with two children (girls) ages 7 and 3 years is believed to be living in Adelaide, where she was heard of early in January last, having left her husband at Hammond on the 23rd of the previous month. Description - Age 25, height 5ft. 6in., fair complexion, light hair dark-blue eyes, small nose.
    THE ADVERTISER, Wednesday 7 February 1894, p.3
    Advertisment. WILL Mrs. T. L. LAWSON, who arrived from Daveyston latter end of January, kindly communicate her present address to Mr. T. L. Lawson, G.P.O.
    The last report I can find is a letter in THE BARRIER MINER 1896 titled A WOMAN HUMPING BLUEY, written by Thomas describing his and Rosa's fruitless trek through looking for work through New South Wales.

Sorry to be so long winded, I have a beginning but no sad end. Rosa & her daughters remain a mystery to me.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated, Ken

Dsrtrat54

Default Lawson/Constant

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Thanks for the great info and if any of you kind folk have info on Catherine's origins, marriage etc that would be cream on the cake, rather than my just sitting here
    Many thanks
    John
    My research into the family is on Ancestry.com in the Clark family tree, owner Phil Clark.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Nathaniel Woolford

3.Winnifred Lacey Lawson. b. 1850 M. Nathanial Vickers Woolford.
    4. Anne Cicely Lacey Lawson. b13th May, 1854 M. George Gaston. (Also an ancestor)
    5.Emma Lacey Lawson b June, 1855 M. Samuel Grapes.
    6. Thomas Lacey Lawson Junior. B. 1857 M. Rosa Alice Curtis.
    7.James Lacey Lawson. b. 1859. M Louisa Gangell.

All seven children each had children of their own...and so the line comes down to the present day. As I said, I have this information, so if it is needed, just tell me which line you would like.

I have parish records for births in Australia. I have census records for where they lived. I am sure about my info and it has been confirmed by other family researchers who have also followed this line. There is a group of cousins Im in constant contact with, and we all agree on our info. We also all agree, we can not find anything back in UK for Captain Thomas Lacey Lawson. ( He was called Captain because he was a mine Captain at the Burra Mines in Sth Aust).

Now that aside....

Catherine Constant Smith. Born 28th Nov, 1819 was married previously to George Smith. George died enroute from England on board the ship "Mary Ann"and was buried at sea. Catherine and their 2 children Clara and Dinah ended up in New Zealand. Catherine aparantly became quite destitue and then met up again with Thomas Lacey Lawson who aparently felt sorry for her and married her and they came to Sth Australia. It is known amongst the researchers Ive mentioned that Catherine had met Thomas onboard the Ship "Mary Ann" 2 years earlier during their voyage to New Zealand...but Thomas continued as a seaman until his return to New Zealand. Thomas actually is said to have jumped ship to do this.

Children of George and Catherine....(1st Marriage)

1. Clara Smith. B 30th July, 1839 M. Thomas James Satchell and had 3 children. (I dont have any further info on the descendants)
    2. Dinah Smith. B. July, 1841 M. John Adams, and had 13 ! Children. (I have descendants for 4 of the 13 children)

Well, I hope this gives enough information to help us all find the ancestors. I hope this has helped you to Mr JohnF. If you would like to private message me JohnF, I am more than happy to share my info with you on the descendants, but Im sure it is the Ancestors you are looking for.....same as me. This is my brick wall too.

Thanks everyone, I truly hope you can help break down this 17 year brick wall for me....and JohnF too by the looks of things.

Regards
    Jo-rae-me[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't know how this forum works but found it in search of details of my grandfather...

My 2nd great grandfather was Nathaniel Woolford

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Ok i think this is how it works haha, my 2nd great grandfather was Nathaniel Woolford. Only just learning about my family tree

Quote Originally Posted by Bwoolford View Post
    Ok i think this is how it works haha, my 2nd great grandfather was Nathaniel Woolford. Only just learning about my family tree
    Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums
    Unfortunately the original poster who started this thread and most other contriutors are no longer members of Brit-Gen as indicated by the word 'guest under their user name. We do not hold any contact information for them so unless they visit the forums as a guest and see your post then rejoin to contact you there is no way to reach out to them.
    As it is a few years since this thread was started there may be new information online and maybe our helpful members will take a look to see if there is anything else to find.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Christina i only stumbled upon it by accident so joined

I will have a look when i get a chance if there are other forums on my family tree... Thank you again

Don’t give up immediately. Sources have increased a lot since the thread began.
    Why not Start your own thread, and you never know what help may turn up. Moderators can move posts around, so if you wanted, you could start with your posts (starting from #46).

PS Welcome to BG!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast