tarnis

Cool Strain, Gillies, from Ayrshire, Scotland

Hello,

First go at this, so apologies in advance if I seem dim-witted or brainless.
    I'm looking for info on Strains from Kilbirnie, Ayrshire. My grandfather was Alex Strain (no middle name) who married Agnes Johnstone circa 1915???
    Grandfather worked at the steel-mill in Glengarnock.

Info on Gillies family of Beith, Ayrshire. My grandfather Robert Goldie Gillies married Catherine Stevenson circa 1915??? Grandfather was a cabinet-maker in the Beith furniture factory called Pollock's.

Going off to Scotland's People since I've sen it referenced several times in threads I've followed.

many thanks in advance for any help and guidance. This is important to my family.

tarnis

Smile thanks

Well, Scotland's People was a real treasure-trove of useful info. It has cost me about $25 so far but it has been worth it. I've discovered previously unknown family history. I'm now addicted!!

tarnis

Question Gillies family in Beith

Well, I have traced back to John Gillies, a master baker in Beith. Married to Janet Stewart in 1850. They were the grand-parents of my own grandfather, Robert Gillies. I'm brickwalled here because the Old Parish Registers before 1855 don't list the names of parents of bride or groom.

On the Strain's side: traced back to Joseph Strain and Mary Rodger. They are listed on the 1891 census for Kilwinning, Scotland. They were (I believe) the grandparents of my granfather Alex Strain. I believe his mother, Alice Weir, died in childbirth and his father Henry abandoned him to his maternal grandparents.

Any leads or help on Gillies or Strain greatly appreciated.

tarnis

Well I'm still hunting for information. My Strains came from Ireland, probably County Down, but Ireland's trecords seem to be in disarray because it seems most records were intentionally destroyed in 1922. Any advice on tracking (Northern) Irish ancestors? I don't want to use pay-sites like ancestry.com because they don't appear to offer much and they seem to me to be more pricey than government sources.

cheers

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Gillies - link

Hi

I’ve just registered on this site so I’m not sure if you still use it, anyhow i’m a Gillies based in Scotland tracing my fathers side side of the Gillies lineage and have found I am a direct descendant of John Gillies baker in Beith.

I can be of any assistance, drop me a note.

James Gillies
    Quote Originally Posted by tarnis View Post
    Hello,

First go at this, so apologies in advance if I seem dim-witted or brainless.
    I'm looking for info on Strains from Kilbirnie, Ayrshire. My grandfather was Alex Strain (no middle name) who married Agnes Johnstone circa 1915???
    Grandfather worked at the steel-mill in Glengarnock.

Info on Gillies family of Beith, Ayrshire. My grandfather Robert Goldie Gillies married Catherine Stevenson circa 1915??? Grandfather was a cabinet-maker in the Beith furniture factory called Pollock's.

Going off to Scotland's People since I've sen it referenced several times in threads I've followed.

many thanks in advance for any help and guidance. This is important to my family.

James, welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    Tarnis hasn't been here since 2009. If the email address that they registered with is still active, they should get a message telling them that someone has answered on this thread.

In the mean time, why not select a suitable forum and tell us something about your own research? We have some very helpful members!