ChristineS

Smile PAULL of Cornwall c1840s - 1860's

Hi
    One branch of my tree is the PAULL family, but I have a lot of conflicting dates.

My GGrandfather Francis PAULL was born "somewhere" I believe in Cornwall, but dates from emigration records, census, death and marriage certificates all give different ages / dates! The dates I have narrow it down to somewhere between 1863 and 1868. He married my beloved GGrandma Eliza Ann HOWARD (from Litlington in Cambridgeshire) in Perth, WA in 1896.

His father was William PAULL and his mother Mary Ann nee CHAPPELL. Again I have no definite dates for William's or Mary Ann's births, or their marriage, as again all dates/ages on various resources - census, emigration, death certs, give different dates. I have my suspicions that William is the illegitimate son of Ann PAULL, born 12/02/1849 in the Illogan Workhouse. Mary Ann Chappell - well there are "thousands" of them! I also think that William was younger than Mary Ann by about 4 years or so, and that possibly their first child (Francis, above) was born out of wedlock. This may be the reason for the dodgy dates - eg Francis was 7 in a census, but then suddenly was 4 years old when the family emigrated to New Zealand on the Schiehallion. I have seen family trees on the net for these family members but the dates don't "fit" and I remain suspicious! :-)

If anyone has any ideas or information I would be grateful.

MarkJ

No Francis PAULL or PAUL on the 1871 census for Cornwall. When did the family emigrate?

There is a FrancEs Paull with parents called William and Mary Ann, aged 7 - but the census specifically states Dau and Frances is usually the female spelling...

Can you post a bit more detail about what you already have? The emigration date perhaps, where you have found Francis so far etc..

Cheers,

Mark

Growing old Disgracefully

Smile

Hi
    A search of the births with the surname Paull only has 2 with the name Francis between 1860 - 1870 Cornwell

Births Sep 1862
    Ernest Francis Paull Redruth 5c 272

Births Jun 1862
    Francis George Paull St Columb 5c 125

Sandy

ChristineS

Hi Mark & Sandy Thanks for the responses :-)

I have a copy of that 1871 census with Frances, I am "sure" it is my Francis (Son) as everything else fits, parents, siblings, etc.
    I have searched high and low for Francis PAULL and Francis CHAPPELL (and variations of names) without success (hence my offering a free birth cert that I purchased from Somerset in desperation)!

For Francis Paull, I have:
    Married 7 March 1896 in Perth WA (original cert) giving his age as 32, father William Paull, Mother Mary Ann Chapple (sic) which means DOB Calculates as c 1864
    1935 Death Cert for his father William Paull, listing Francis as 72 in 1935 = Francis DOB c 1863
    Notes on the Schielhallion, sailed London 13 April, 1872, arrived Wellington 9 July 1872, Francis age given as "Frank" 4 = DOB c 1868
    1871 census as above, given "Frances" age as 7 = DOB c1864 (born Illogan)
    1875 (Victoria, Australia) Birth Cert for sister Mary Ellen, giving Francis's age as 9 = DOB c 1866
    1903 Birth Cert of my Grandmother Constance Ruby, gives father Francis age as 39, = DOB c 1864
    1938 Death Cert (West Australian) for Francis, age 75 = DOB c 1863, birthplace Penrith Cornwall
    AAAARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! You see why I have posted! nothing matches!

MarkJ

Indeed I can see the dilemma here!

I am a little wary of the Frances entry - it does state Dau on the transcript of the census which is on the COCP. Have you seen the copy of the original sheet?
    The enumerator could well have made the mistake and it could perhaps be Francis, son.

There is a Francis FAULL (just thinking about confusing letters here - and Faull is a common Redruth area name), June quarter 1865 in Helston.

Interestingly though, no sign of any Francis or Frances Faull in the right time frame - apart from those Sandy mentioned.

Nothing under FALL - just thought I would try!

No suitable entries under Chappell/Chappel/Chapel either - just in case this was an unmarried job.

Most strange!

Mark

ChristineS

Hi Sandy
    I haven't been back for ages and didn't see your reply until now, thanks so much for checking it out. I might have to try getting a certificate for the above, they could both be "possible", still unsure about the birth dates of his parents, but 1862 is do-able! My Francis is listed as having been born in Illogan on census returns, so Ernest Francis most likely. There is some suspicion that some children were born without benefit of marriage when parents were very young, and that the marriage came after the first three children were born. On emigrating to Australia, Francis was quoted as being 4 when he actually was more like 8!
    Thanks for the info, will follow it up. :-) Christine

Hugh Thompson

Also don't discount "Francus", one of my Cornish Francis Leys was so written in a few entries.
    Hugh.

chappell

Hi These names are ringing bells just a thought if you would like to contact me bradATatypicalDOTcomDOTau
    Last edited by christanel; 28-02-2015 at 3:47 AM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam