dannywh

Default Leather processing query

Several of my ancestors were involved in the leather glove production business. Does anyone know of any description available for the full Victorian process of leather production through to "glove grade"?

I should also love to know the difference between a "leather grounder" and a "leather dresser"?

Thanks
    Danny

Valued member of Brit-Gen. Aislin's Avatar

"I should also love to know the difference between a "leather grounder" and a "leather dresser"?"

This website should answer those questions nicely

It deals with both leather and parchment but if you do a quick search for "ground" or "dress" it should take you to the right section

dannywh

Default Leather processing -Grounder and Dresser

Thanks Aislin - good call.
    Well it looks to me that the terms "leather grounder" and "leather dresser" are names for workers involved with different levels of the curing process. Apparently, tanning is a chemical means of preservation of the skin/hide once it has been de-haired and de-fleshed. Dressing is the stage after tanning involving oiling and treatment to retain and enhace the pliability.
    Tell you what, that sounds like an incredibly hard, long, and smelly process. My goodness, how our forefathers grafted!

Thanks again
    Danny