helen64

Default Searching Balch families

I am searching for my mothers side, the Balch family....from Somerset Devon

I am stuck at the moment and its driving me mad!!! i have got Samuel Balch born 1811 from Somerset and his wife Jane Vining from batcombe somerset. I know samuels father is Samuel and the mother is Ann but thats all i can find, any help would be so so gratefully recieved.....PLEASE

Wirral

According to the 1851 & 1861 censuses, Samuel BALCH was born in Brewham, Somerset 1813 - 1818. In 1861 he was aged 43 & in 29 Dec 1864 there is a marriage of Samuel BALCH 45W (presumably age 45, widower), father Samuel BALCH to Elizabeth GARLAND, father George MEADOM. Is this a 2nd marriage for your Samuel? If, so, then what is the occupation of his father from the marriage certificate? Is his father still alive?
    In the 1841 census, Samuel was a groom; in 1851 a servant; in 1861 an ag lab.

Thomasin

I wonder if this is any good.

22nd July 1799
    Samuel Baltch married Ann Sims at Brewham. Witnesses: John Archell, James Baltch.

Thomasin

I should have said, this is Somerset Marriages (post 1754), by the Somerset and Dorset Family History Society.
    Last edited by Thomasin; 19-06-2009 at 8:09 PM. Reason: added the source

Thomasin

This might be the burial of the same man:

Samuel Balch
    bur. 24 Jun 1827
    Age at death 50
    Calculated year of birth 1777
    Place of burial Brewham, St John the Baptist

National Burial Index
    Somerset and Dorset Family History Society

... and this might be the burial of a son:

Samuel Balch
    bur. 9 Nov 1805
    Age Child
    Calculated year of birth Unknown
    Brewham, St John the Baptist

National Burial Index
    Somerset and Dorset Family History Society

Thomasin

helen64

Default Ref: Balch searches

Thank you to Wirral and Thomasin for your message, i am about to have a look and see what turns upi with the info you have provided. I have the census records mentioned and just cant find the connection of samuel 1813 brewham and his father samuel and mother ann......i shall follow up what i have been given, will let you know if it a hit!

Thanks again
    Helen

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by helen64 View Post
    ....just cant find the connection of samuel 1813 brewham and his father samuel and mother ann......
    Hi Helen,

Maybe the Somerset and Dorset Family History Society would be able to help.

helen64

Hello, i had a look but i am so stuck still i have been on this same bit for ages and im seriously getting fed up with it now, Samuel Balch BRN: 1811 married Jane Vining.
    I know Samuels father was a Samuel too but i am stuck on who is the mother....so obviously i cant make that connection. AHHHH

Barbarn

According to my research, Samual Balch who married Jane Vining was the son of Samuel 'Baltch' and Ann Sims. This Samuel son of Issac Balch and Mary Stone, all of S. Breham. My family descends from Joseph Balch, son of Samuel and Jane, who married Edith White at Batcombe 5 Aug. 1862.