Julie G

Post William Hetherington 1891 census

Is there anyone who could so me a look up for William Hetherington on the 1891 census for Barrow in Furness. He was born in Haslingden about 1835/36 but was living in Barrow at 29 Newland St in 1881. Wife Mary born 1850/51 in Morland, Westmorland.
    Any details on this family would be great.
    Many thanks
    Julie

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Default William + Mary HETHERINGTON in 1891

Quote Originally Posted by Julie G
    Is there anyone who could so me a look up for William Hetherington on the 1891 census for Barrow in Furness. He was born in Haslingden about 1835/36 but was living in Barrow at 29 Newland St in 1881. Wife Mary born 1850/51 in Morland, Westmorland.
    Any details on this family would be great.
    Many thanks
    Julie
    Julie,

I don't see a William HETHERINGTON, aged 55/56, or a Mary HETHERINGTON aged 39/40, with the birthplaces you give living in Barrow in the 1891 census.

There are 3 Williams listed: 46, 40 and 5 years old. The two men were both born in Cumberland. The 40-year-old, a tailor, is married to a Mary A. HETHERINGTON, 39 years old, born in Newcastle, Northumberland. They lived at 231 Rawlinson Street with 9 children.

Regards,
    Trish

Julie G

Thanks for looking Trish. This family are proving to be rather elusive but i shall plod on.
    Julie

Thanks for looking Trish. This family are proving to be rather elusive but i shall plod on.
    Julie
    Julie, I should have added in my message that I also tried searching for variations of HETHERINGTON but without success. Is there any possibility that William and Mary had moved from Barrow and maybe even out of Lancashire by 1891?

Trish

Julie G

Hi Trish,
    It is possible that William and Mary had moved from Barrow by 1891 as she was originally from Morland in Westmorland and he was from Haslingden, Lancs and their children were born in Westmorland. So they had moved about a bit before 1881.
    I made a mistake with Mary's birthdate by the way, she was born in 1830/31. Her daughter Margaret was born in 1850/51. Of course they also might have died by then as people didn't live as long. I shall have to look elsewhere i guess.
    Many thanks again for looking though.
    Best wishes
    Julie

Default Titherington?

Hi Trish,
    It is possible that William and Mary had moved from Barrow by 1891 as she was originally from Morland in Westmorland and he was from Haslingden, Lancs and their children were born in Westmorland. So they had moved about a bit before 1881.
    I made a mistake with Mary's birthdate by the way, she was born in 1830/31. Her daughter Margaret was born in 1850/51. Of course they also might have died by then as people didn't live as long. I shall have to look elsewhere i guess.
    Many thanks again for looking though.
    Best wishes
    Julie
    Julie,

I looked a little harder -- this became a real challenge. I decided to seek out William and Mary's neighbours in 1891 and, through them, locate 29 Newland Street... You wouldn't believe how many of the 1881 neighbours had moved by 1891!

So your HEATHERINGTONs are there after all -- still at 29 Newland Street. But they eluded me in the first round because they are transcribed as TITHERINGTONs -- and, indeed, the handwriting on the original image does make the "HE" look like a "TI."

So, here they are:

Name / Age in 1891 / Birthplace / Relationship to head-of-house / Occupation
    Titherington, William 60 Musbury, Lancashire Head Railway Plate Layer
    Titherington, Ann 72 Stockland, Westmoreland Wife
    Lewis, Mary 19 Barrow, Lancashire Niece Domestic Worker
    Houseley, Richard 26 Barrow, Lancashire Nephew Ship [looks like...] Dormer
    Hughes, George 46 Milford Haven, PEM Boarder Barrow Ditto

Source information: RG12/3482
    Registration district: Barrow In Furness
    Sub registration district: Barrow in Furness
    ED, institution, or vessel: 1
    Folio: 30
    Page: 54
    !

A fountain of knowledge

Exclamation

Musbery! That doesn't look much like Haslingdon. And now instead of Mary, 5 years his senior, he is married to Ann, 12 years his senior; and she from Stockland, not Morland. No wonder I had no luck.

Trish, you should get a prize for this one.

Peggy

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy
    Musbery! That doesn't look much like Haslingdon. And now instead of Mary, 5 years his senior, he is married to Ann, 12 years his senior; and she from Stockland, not Morland. ! No wonder I had no luck.

Trish, you should get a prize for this one.

Peggy
    Why thank you, Peggy! I am rather happy with myself on this one. Now, if I could just find my own people...

Scary how names, ages, everything can change from one census to another. And why? Did our ancestors fib or forget or just give different answers at different times? Probably all of those things. And did the enumerator make mistakes? Probably, from time to time. And do the transcribers correctly transcribe the handwriting? All the opportunities for error are a little daunting!

Trish

Julie G

Hi Trish,
    Wow you have done well with this one. Many thanks for persevering and finding them for me. Now i shall have to find out when Mary died. It's always the way, you climb over one brick wall and come up against another one! Such is the life when researching your family tree.
    Many thanks again
    Julie

uksearch

Yes, well done Trish.It is not always easy to use.

UK