Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    WK1937

Default John Nobles born 1827 Sharnbrook.

I am researching the above head of family as shown on the 1861 census.
    I can only find one daughter Catherine Nobles on the 1871 census in Croydon, but none of the other family members. I have looked up marriages and deaths with no luck. I am beginning to wonder whether a family tragedy had occurred and no registrations were made because of it. This is just clutching at straws!

Any suggestions would be most welcome. Many thanks, Maureen.

janbooth

Default John NOBLES

Could this be Henry in the 1871 census of Royston:

RG10/1361, folio 81, page 13
    Baldock Street

Henry NOBLES Lodger Unm 20 Ag Lab Beds Sherbroke

He is lodging in the household of a Joseph ROBINSON, a Railway Platelayer

and in the 1881 census of Elstow, Beds married to Sarah with children Ellen & Annie living with parents in law Samuel & Sarah SLATER and still living with parents in law in the 1891 census of Elstow (all transcribed as Henry NOBLE).

Janet

janbooth

Default Ellen NOBLES

And this looks like Ellen in the 1871 census of South Norwood, Croyden (mistranscribed as ROBLE):

RG10/847, folio 41, page 2
    Albert Rd, 1 St John's Villa

Ellen NOBLE Servant Unm 18 General Servant Bedford

Living in the household of John Harmer WALLS, a Druggist Sundriesman. There is an 1881 census entry in St Giles, Cambridge of an Ellen NOBLE born c1857 Bedford who is a Servant who could perhaps be your Ellen. Plus a marriage in the March qtr 1885 at Croydon reg district of an Alfred CARTER and one of the other names on the page is that of an Ellen NOBLE. This couple are in the 1891 census of Croydon and Ellen CARTER is shown as aged 37, born Bedford.

There is also a marriage registration in the September qtr 1884 at Croydon reg district of a Kerenhappuch NOBLE, vol 2a, page 406 to either an Alfred ROLES or an Edward Augustus RUCKER. I can find Edward A RUCKER on the 1891 census and he is married to a Mary E, so it looks as if Kerenhappuch married Alfred ROLES but I can't find them at present in the 1891 census.

Hope this helps.

Janet

WK1937

Hi Janet, thank you so much. It does look like them, having some of the family moving to the Croydon area. I will look the results up for myself from the information you gave me and will report back.

It beggars belief how you wonderful people on here can come up with the goods.

Best wishes, Maureen.

WK1937

Default Nobles in Sharnbrook

Hello again Janet. I have looked up the information you kindly gave and I would agree they are the records I have been seeking. In actual fact the reason I was following this line of Nobles is because my main interest is in
    George Nobles also born in Sharnbrook who is my great grandfather. I am having great problems in finding my grandmother's birth index and in desperation told myself that Kovienhappuck (really Kerenhappuch) mentioned on the 1861 census was indeed my grandmother who was adopted by George. However, it would appear not as Karenhappuch married in 1884 as you mentioned and I am a trifle disappointed about this.

It does look as if I will have to go back to the drawing board again - in fact it could very well turn out that she was never registered in the first place. I am now hoping that when the LMA records of baptisms appear online she will be found. According to a reply from A......they have no timeframe for this to happen yet.

They say when one door closes another opens - well whilst searching for the other Nobles I found that George had two more babies of which I knew nothing, both having sadly died before they reached 6 months.

Anyway thank you for helping. Best wishes, Maureen.

Famous for offering help & advice sue2white's Avatar

On IGI
    KARENHAPPUCH NOBLES
    Female
    Christening: 16 JUL 1843 Sharnbrook, Bedford, England
    Parents:
    Father: JOHN NOBLES
    Mother: ELIZABETH

Sue

Name Age
    John Nobles 34
    Mary Nobles 34
    Henry Nobles 10
    Ann E Nobles 9
    Ellen Nobles 7
    Catharine Nobles 5
    Kovienhappuck Nobles 1 Mo
    Samuel Nobles 22

Have just realised, from my previous post that Kovienhappuck Nobles on this 1861 census is not the same one as on the IGI that I quoted. Quite a few years between them. Is the one on the IGI John Nobles' cousin perhaps?

This is the correct one
    KERENHAPPICK NOBLES
    Female
    Christening: 06 OCT 1861 Saint Mary, Bedford, Bedford, England
    Parents:
    Mother: MARY

All the other children on the census are also on the IGI.

Sue

George Nobles also born in Sharnbrook who is my great grandfather
    I take it this is your gt grandfather?

GEORGE NOBLES
    Male
    Christening: 14 JUL 1833 Sharnbrook, Bedford, England
    Parents:

On IGI
    KARENHAPPUCH NOBLES
    Female
    Christening: 16 JUL 1843 Sharnbrook, Bedford, England
    Parents:
    So this one is George's sister.

On the IGI there there is a marriage of George to Sarah Ellis in 1852, and three children..George, Elizabeth & Fanny. Is one of these your grandmother?

Sue

Deaths Jun 1855
    Nobles Fanny Bedford 3b 201

Ah! Fanny died! I take it you grandmother was another Kerenhappuch. Daughter of George. Was her mother Sarah? As Sarah does not appear on the 1861 census with George, young George & Elizabeth. You would think that we would be able to find a name like that.

Sue

PS

Births Dec 1857
    Nobles Kerenhappuch Bedford 3b 285

Births Dec 1859
    NOBLES Kerenhappuch Eliza Bedford 3b 311

Have you checked these out?
    Last edited by sue2white; 13-06-2009 at 9:13 AM. Reason: Making it clearer & Ps

WK1937

Default Nobles in Sharnbrook.

Good morning Sue, thank you so much for your efforts, which are greatly appreciated. All the information you quoted I already have - the first Karenhappuch was indeed George's sister and she died at aged 6 years. In fact there are four Karenhappuch Nobles in all, three having died young. It was the child on the 1861 census for whom I could not find any further records who I obviously mistakenly thought might be my grandmother.

According to records I already have, my grandmother was born in Hampstead and named Mary Ann Nobles. George married three times in all, his first two wives having sadly passed away. She is the only missing link in George's life so I am so desperate to find her roots. I was a teenager when she passed over and like so many other families not too much was discussed.

Thank you for taking the time to help me - I did post a request for help in another section here a little while ago and although kind souls endeavoured to help me nothing unfortunately came of it. Best wishes Maureen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast