Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    cirstybewick

Default france birth look up please or census

hello

i am looking for a clemence alphonsina victoria elizabeth finch (thats her whole name lol) born abt 1846 in france newington bs.

i think i have found them in the 1851 census living in camberwell surrey

james finch 38
    hannah finch 41
    james finch 13
    amelia finch 10
    franagus finch 8
    clemence finch 6
    william finch 3

clemance and franagus where the only children born in france, if anyone can find a birth for these people or even census in france of this family i would be very thankful

kind regards

cirsty

Reputation beyond repute

You might like to look out for , 'The British Overseas, A Guide to Records of Their Births, Baptisms, Marriages, Deaths and Burials Available in the United Kingdom', Geoffrey Yeo, London, 2nd edn, 1988.

Kent Library Service should be able to help.

cirstybewick

ok thanks i have a look x

sueannbowen

Hi Cirsty

this page is really helpful:

https://genealogy.about.com/od/france...h_ancestry.htm

Sue

pottoka

Unhappy

Censuses in France are not at all like they are in England and Wales: for example, in Paris, you can look up the Censuses of 1926, 1931 and 1936, and that is your lot! What is more, to find someone on the said Censuses, you need to know where they were living at the time, i.e. their exact address. It's not a way to track someone down.

I'm afraid that I don't believe that Franagus (is that really his name or is it mistranscribed?) and Clémence were born in Newington in France, either. It's just not a French name. Given the state of the 1851 Census form, where their birth town has been transcribed as Newington, I think you need to find them on another Census to get a "second opinion" as to the name of the town.

Without the name of the town, you won't have the slightest chance of getting a birth document for either of them. Each Town Hall in France recorded the births, deaths and marriages in the town, and you can usually get a copy by writing to the Town Hall. But you have to know exactly which one, unfortunately.

How do you know all of Clémence's names? Did she get married in England?

Reputation beyond repute

I don't believe Newington because I don't think that's what the census says!

Although Cirsty doesn't mention Amelia, the 1851 census says she was born in Paris (BS).

The dates are consistent with those British families who took advantage of a period of peace to seek fame and fortune in France and then hurried back PDQ in 1848!

I think that if she finds any further documentation about their births, it will be in British sources, hence the book I suggested.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Looks like Montpelier to me ... ??

Kerrywood

pottoka

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post

Although Cirsty doesn't mention Amelia, the 1851 census says she was born in Paris (BS).

The dates are consistent with those British families who took advantage of a period of peace to seek fame and fortune in France and then hurried back PDQ in 1848!

I think that if she finds any further documentation about their births, it will be in British sources, hence the book I suggested.
    I'm sorry if I've upset you by repeating what you had said. I was trying to help in my own clumsy way.

I also read Paris for Amelia and am aware that there is a town called Newington in Surrey.

pottoka

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    Looks like Montpelier to me ... ??

Kerrywood
    You've got good eyes, Kerrywood! I was going to say that Montpellier has two ells in French, but, of course, it would have been spelt by a Briton!

The only thing that has me wondering is why the family would go off to Montpellier; this was a time when the railways were being built, for example between Rouen and Paris, and the father's occupation makes me think that he might have been involved with that.

Or maybe they just wanted a bit of sunshine?

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by pottoka View Post
    I'm sorry if I've upset you
    You didn't upset me and I'm sorry if you thought I was having a go at you. I was agreeing with you and also muttering about some points I hadn't noticed before. My clumsiness, if anyone's.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast