Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: owen manuel

a.r.hughes

Default owen manuel

hi all. looking parents of owen manuel born abt 1805/06 in llanfrothen,merioneth,wales civil parish maentwrog can anybody help please tony

Name well known on Brit-Gen

How about an:

OWIN MANUEL Christened 16 Feb. 1806 at St.Peter Collegiate, Wolverhampton,Stafford.
    Death: 19 Mar. 1808

Pts Jno.(John?) Manuel & Mary
    batch no. C010202
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

a.r.hughes

Quote Originally Posted by Waitabit View Post
    How about an:

OWIN MANUEL Christened 16 Feb. 1806 at St.Peter Collegiate, Wolverhampton,Stafford.
    Death: 19 Mar. 1808

Pts Jno.(John?) Manuel & Mary
    batch no. C010202
    WRONG MANUEL BORN ABT1805/06 DIED1878
    TH

Carmy

Hi Tony.

Are you sure of the spellings of Llanfrothen and Maentwrog? Although spellings have changed over the years, Merionethshire is a small county listing about 20 places and none sound remotely like those. Very often, non-Welsh-speaking clerks used phonetic spellings but nothing I can see could be read as those two names.

I've been transcribing records for Carmarthenshire and Cardiganshire, mostly 1700s. Occasionally, the names Emanuel or Emmanuel crop up. Is it possible the name changed to Manuel?

jeeb

Quote Originally Posted by Carmy View Post
    Hi Tony.

Are you sure of the spellings of Llanfrothen and Maentwrog? Although spellings have changed over the years, Merionethshire is a small county listing about 20 places and none sound remotely like those. Very often, non-Welsh-speaking clerks used phonetic spellings but nothing I can see could be read as those two names.

I've been transcribing records for Carmarthenshire and Cardiganshire, mostly 1700s. Occasionally, the names Emanuel or Emmanuel crop up. Is it possible the name changed to Manuel?
    Hi Carmy,
    These places do exist and Tony has spelt them correctly. Llanfrothen is a parish in Merionethshire about 3 miles NW of Maentwrog and 8 miles NE of Harlech.

Jeremy

Carmy

I Googled both place names and they exist as you have them. Odd that SOG doesn't have them listed.

Carmy

FreeBMD came up with the following:

Deaths Mar 1878 (>99%)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

MANUEL Owen 73 Festiniog 11b 336

Starting to feel at home

I believe Llanfrothen comes under the Ffestiniog registration district.
    Godo

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by a.r.hughes View Post
    hi all. looking parents of owen manuel born abt 1805/06 in llanfrothen,merioneth,wales civil parish maentwrog can anybody help please tony
    Hi Tony,
    Not what you wanted but I hope of some help.
    from Llandecwyn Parish records, P.20 (Dolgellau Archives).
    Parish of Llandecwyn.
    Owen Manuel of Maentwrog married Jane Jones of Llandecwyn on the 8th August 1835.
    by Banns.

Manuel children

Mary Manuel 14th Feb 1836 Gelli grin P.33
    Elizabeth Owen Manuel 29th April 1837 Ty'r Turnpike P.35
    Edward Jones Manuel 5th April 1840 Ty'r Turnpike P.37
    Morris Owen Manuel 14th August Turnpike P.39 Owen Manuel is listed as labourer at the time of all 4 births.
    I have copies of all the above if you want them

There are a Jane Owen Manuel (1844) and Gwen Owen Manuel (1847) found on the BMD

Owen Manuel died in Deudraeth 1878 and Jane Manuel nee Jones died Ffestiniog 1891.

I will return to look for Owen Manuel's birth registration as soon as I can
    regards
    Linda
    Last edited by Barmouth; 21-01-2010 at 9:35 PM. Reason: had missed out information.

Starting to feel at home

Hi Tony,
    I have just returned from Dol archives, I would love to tell you I had the information you need but I haven't.
    I have spent the whole morning squinting at the Llandecwyn parish register. I have looked at all births from 1779 to 1814 and Zilch. Several Owens' as you can imagine which in a lot of cases was almost indistinguishable from Gwen which there were also lots of. I didn't find 1 Manuel.
    I then searched through all recorded deaths for the Manuel name, thought I may be able to find his parents name from that and again - nothing.
    I thought this was going to be simple, having such an odd surname (for around here, no offence intended) but alas, I have come up with nothing.
    May I ask where you got your information from?, the reason I ask is 1, it is so unusual around these parts and 2, I wondered if Owen was the surname? or whether Manuel was short for Emanuel? just some thoughts
    Good luck
    Linda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast