Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Masters/Trays

mamaburk

I have ordered both certificates this evening ... so we will see how long it takes for them to arrive! Do you have the William John Masters / Annie Snell marriage from Bodmin in Sep 1890? I know this is 2 years after the first child ... but I have been searching the FREEBMD for marriages of a MASTERS to an ANN and it is about the only William in the 5c districts.

bobthegardener

Dear Ruth,

I have no details of this 1890 marriage. I noticed that the name Snell appears in St Cleer baptism registers very frequently and that William John Masters' parents first child was baptised in St Cleer - if you scroll down to Masters on this link you will find this baptism entry:-
    https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....ptisms_m-p.htm
    but could establish no link to the Masters/Snell marriage.

The Masters family seemed to live in St Cleer parish as that is where they are recorded in the census returns.

Regards,

Bob

mamaburk

Bob and all ... the certificates ordered on Sep 30 arrived today, Oct 13. And here is what they say:

MASTERS Jane Trays Plymouth 5b 254 Jun qtr 1888.
    Registration District: Plymouth Sub-district Charles in the County of Devon:
    #237 28th May 1888 3 Love Lane Jane Trays Girl father William John Masters mother Annie Masters formerly Trays occupation Carter X the mark of Annie Masters, mother, 3 Love Lane Plymouth 27th Jun 1888 ...

TRAYS Fanny Launceston 5c 19 Mar qtr 1862
    Registration district Launceston in the Subdistrict of Altarnum in the County of Cornwall:
    #120 19th Feb 1862 Broad Lane, Altarnun Fanny girl father John Trays Mother Jane Trays formerly Rose occupation Labourer at a copper mine X the mark of Jane Trays mother, Broad Lane Altarnun 25th Mar 1862 ...

So, as I read these, Jane Trays Masters is the daughter of the family that came to Canada.

This FANNY is born the 19th Feb ... the same day and month that were given when Annie Masters died in Toronto ... the year is four years earlier than that given on the Annie death cert in Toronto. However I can see her hiding her year of birth as to give the right year would make her 5 years older than her husband ... by saying she was born in 1861 makes her just one year older. Somehow I could not believe that someone would change their day and month of birth ...what do you think?

What do you know about the Trays family of John Trays and Jane Rowe, Bob?

mamaburk

I don't know what you know about this family, Bob ... but I have been playing with a couple of websites .. Familysearch, Ancestry and the Cornwall Online Parish Clerk .. the latter has a wonderful database of records https://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/personsearchdb.php , some are in the IGI and some are not ... I now know that John Trays was baptised in St. Keyne in Jul 1821 and Jane Rowe came from St. Clether ... they were married in Altarnun in 1853 and had 13 children. But do I know that this is the Fanny who died in Toronto as Annie Masters ... NO!

bobthegardener

Dear Ruth,

I believe William states Annie's birth year as 1861 on her death certificate instead of 1862. The reason for this may be a simple miscalculation - he may have got the year of birth wrong if he was working from memory. He was born in the 3rd Quarter of 1862, and as his wife Fanny was born in 1st Quarter of 1862, she would be a year older for much of the time and he may have thought, as she was a year older than him, she was born 1861.

Re the Cornwall OPC website - it is excellent I use it a lot - it must have taken considerable effort to create this - the transcribers deserve much praise for doing so.

Re Fanny aka Annie's birth certificate - does the mother's name read Rowe rather than Rose?

Re Annie's parents and family. I have posted on the website below what details are available of her immediate family. This gives the source references so you can check through much of it and it might save you much time. Some of the baptism dates appear to have been provided by the vicar of the church at Altarnun in the early 1960's and may not be available on-line unless on the Cornwall OPC website.

If you click on the underlined links headed "SOURCES" on the tentative family tree it will take you to more details of the person's family. Let me know if you spot any errors/ discrepancies - it is so easy to get things wrong. The family of John and Jane Rowe is near top left second row down.

https://www.trease.org.uk/tdr/tdt/tdt18w_ac.htm#t18w_ac

Regards,

Bob

mamaburk

I have just had a message from someone looking at a son of John Trays and Mary Ann Sparkes. I have suggested that she contact me privately, as opposed to the web based message board, and I will direct her to this list. She might be able to help us as much as we can help her.

mamaburk

"Re Fanny aka Annie's birth certificate - does the mother's name read Rowe rather than Rose? "

The certificate very definitely says ROWE, not Rose. Father John is a labourer at a copper mine, and they are living in Broad Lane Altarnun.

bobthegardener

Smile Family of John Trays and Mary Sparks

Would be very useful to get help on the John and Mary Sparks tree.

The link below takes you to a tentative family tree that includes much of what I have on the family of John Trays and Mary Sparks. John and his wife Mary (nee Sparks) are the second row down on the far left margin. If you look further along that row to the right you will find the family of John Trayes and Jane (nee Rowe) so these two Johns appear to be cousins. Link:-
    https://www.trease.org.uk/tdr/tdt/tdt03.htm#tree1

You can browse up and down and to the right to see the full tree. If you click the underlined words SOURCES you can see fuller information about the various families. If you click the underlined words TREE2 etc you will be taken to further linked trees. Although it is quite large the full tree is not shown. My cousin who did most of the research into this tree has further information some of which may involve living descendants. I am not the expert on this and he may be able to help out if necessary.

Hope this helps. I think Geoff from Australia may be interested as it links in to his Drew family research and complements that. I've inserted a link to his Blog in the tree.

Regards,

Bob

mamaburk

Bob, I do thank you for all the work you have done on these families. I note that some of the sources are [per genealogy web forum] ... and for some of those items I could send you a copy if I had your out of forum email address. If you are interested, email me at

ruth DOT burk AT sympatico DOT ca
    Last edited by Procat; 09-11-2009 at 6:54 AM. Reason: Email address edited against spammers

GeoffD

Quote Originally Posted by bobthegardener View Post
    Hope this helps. I think Geoff from Australia may be interested as it links in to his Drew family research and complements that. I've inserted a link to his Blog in the tree.

Regards,

Bob
    I'll have a look at that link when I am feeling a bit better. I faded out back there due to a diagnosis of a particularly nasty and rare lymphoma, and have been under intensive treatment the past few months. Testing for remission next week, and hoping the news is good.

Then I'll read through everything and see how it all fitted.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234