LancsLass

Default Microfiche and over head projector (OHP)?

Hi

Does anyone know whether you can view microfiche using an overhead projector?

I am thinking laterally because it is getting increasingly difficult to get access to a fische reader at my library.

I have tried to acquire a second hand fiche reader but have been offered a (portable) over head projector (OHP).

Just wondered whether anyone had tried it - if not I will acquire the equipment and experiment.

Ron Lankshear

Fiche can be scanned and put on a computer.
    A scanner that handles slides or negatives.
    PDF file format seems to work well.

overheads are usually handling images you can read with the naked eye not something unreadable like a fiche

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by LancsLass
    Does anyone know whether you can view microfiche using an overhead projector?
    I haven't tried it.

A fiche reader is basically a small overhead projector. The image is projected at high magnification onto a mirror and then onto a screen. It is the magnification and focusing of the image that is important to make the detail on the fiche readable.

Like Ron, I doubt an ordinary overhead projector would work as it simply would not magnify the image sufficiently.

LancsLass

Thanks for your input.

Sounds as though I had better give it a go and see whether there is enough magnification, guess that will partly depend on the quality of the OHP. Don't hold out much hope following both your thoughts but will report back.

Sarah

Default Microfiche & scanners

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lankshear View Post
    Fiche can be scanned and put on a computer.
    A scanner that handles slides or negatives.
    ron
    I have a HP scanjet with film scanning facility. However, try as I may I have not been able to devise a suitable holder for microfiche, as the the supplied ones are for slides and negs etc.
    I have tried just laying them on the glass, but it seems to me that the scanning lens is set to be in focus some fraction above the glass level, presumably the thickness of the supplied holders.

If you have succesfully scanned fiche, then I would be obliged for any tips on this.

cheers..Ed

Brick wall demolition expert!

In the past, I've been able to scan microfilm by fitting it into the long negative holders (I think..it was one of the holders) on my HP scanner at work. Way down my to-do list was to try to find a proper sized fiche holder for a scanner. I'd be interested to know if one exists.

As you say Ed, I think all that matters is the distance from the lens.

Adele

kermie62

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    I haven't tried it.

A fiche reader is basically a small overhead projector. The image is projected at high magnification onto a mirror and then onto a screen. It is the magnification and focusing of the image that is important to make the detail on the fiche readable.

Like Ron, I doubt an ordinary overhead projector would work as it simply would not magnify the image sufficiently.
    I am sure if you put enough seperation between the projector and the screen it could magnify it enough if the light was bright enough although the question is how much speration I am rather amused at the thought of a screen projector, the side of a large light coloured building and a cherry picker on a dark moonless night. Small things hey

Ron Lankshear

Fiche fits into the Adapter on HP 4470C - except it slightly chops top and bottom edges - ok if nothing there.

Scan as PDF

LancsLass

Ok so you are both absolutely right the OHP idea was useless - no where near enough magnification.

However, I am having good results with a film scanner so long as it doesn't cause Geoffers a problem I will start a new thread to report my scanning findings as that seems to be a constant query on this site.

Sarah