wendyslocum

Default Hunn family Watford/Willesden/Boxmoor

Can anybody help me please to find out more about my husband's great grandfather, Frederick Hunn born at sea in 1843?. He worked in a clerical capacity on the railways (LNWR I believe) from about 1861 until his retirement. The family lived close to the railways throughout all the censuses - namely St Pancras, Watford, Willesden and Boxmoor. Fred is listed as being Railway Clerk, Railway Official, Railway Canvasser. I am unable to find any reference to him (or his daughter Maud Hunn who also worked for them) on any listing.
    Also, could somebody please explain the work of a 'railway canvasser'?

Thank you.
    W

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wendyslocum View Post
    Also, could somebody please explain the work of a 'railway canvasser'?
    Can't help with the first part, but a Canvasser was employed as a salesman for the railway company, with the object of obtaining commercial freight contracts.

Michael
    Michael

Suffolk Pipe – one tree

georgiep

Hi W
    Do you need census info for the family?
    I wasn't sure from your post.
    Frederick was born at sea perhaps?

Thank you

Georgie

wendyslocum

Default Hunn family/LNWR

Thanks Georgie, I am alright for census info. HOWEVER, I can find no record of a birth at sea for Frederick Hunn in 1843. I do have a baptism record in Plympton. For what it's worth, he was the illegitimate son of Captain Frederick Hunn (b 1789 Cumberland and captained on the Redwing which patrolled St Helena during Napoleon's 'stay') and his housekeeper Mary Ann Knight (b. 1811 Saltash).

Do you know how one might find the actual birth at sea record? I have searched Findmypast.com and everywhere I can think of??

Thank you.

Wendy

wendyslocum

Default Hunn family LNWR

Thank you Michael for the info. on railway canvasser. I guess he would have gone to various manufacturing industries to promote LNWR's freight services...

Wendy

Bazzaa

Not sure if you're still keeping an eye on this thread, but I'm also interested in the Hunn family. I'm fairly certain Frederick was born in Plympton rather than at sea. He seems to have added this 'fact' to his life for the 1891 and 1911 censuses (though curiously reverts to Plympton for the '01). All others give Plympton or Plymouth. Also, given the fact that the earlier censuses ('51 and '61/'71) were probably filled out by his father and mother respectively, assumedly they would know his place of birth. There's also the fact that the birth was registered in the Plympton St. Mary district (March Qtr. 1843, v. 9, p. 438) - a copy of the birth certificate would prove where he was in fact born.

hallo Bazzaa, and a warm welcome to BG. Wendy hasn't visited for a while, but hopefully your post will generate an e-mail to her. You could also try clicking on her username and sending her a private message.

Now that you are here, have a good look round the rest of the forum
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids