Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    henry8

Question Grand father Henry Stanford

My Ggrandfather, Henry Stanford was born in Croyden on the 15/81839. He emigrated to South Africa in 1857. It would like to trace further back but, how do I go about from here? Please could anybody help?
    Last edited by henry8; 16-05-2009 at 9:00 PM. Reason: Grandmother and father's areas of birth interchanged

Knowledgeable and helpful

You could have a look at some of the sites on

cyndislist.com/soafrica.htm

It's a start anyway.
    Browneyes

Growing old Disgracefully

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by henry8 View Post
    My Ggrandfather, Henry Stanford was born in Croyden on the 15/81839. He emigrated to South Africa in 1857. It would like to trace further back but, how do I go about from here? Please could anybody help?
    Hi
    From what you already tell us and as he was born in 1839 in Croydon, Surry I would expect to find
    1. a birth Cert.
    I couldn't find one in Surrey on FreeBMD

2. him & family on the 1841 & 1851 Census.
    Couldn't find him in 1841

This is the nearest I could find in the 1851 England Census

Name: Ann Stanford, Age: 45
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1806
    Relation: Lodger
    Where born: Norwood, Surrey, England

Civil Parish: Lambeth
    Ecclesiastical parish: St Luke
    County/Island: Surrey
    Registration district: Lambeth
    Sub-registration district: Brixton
    ED, institution, or vessel: 8
    William Burford 40 head
    Ann Stanford 45 lodger
    Sarah Stanford 13 lodger's Daughter
    Henry Stanford 9 lodger's son

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1575; Folio: 560; Page: 19

Do you already have a birth Cert. for him which would tell you his Parent's name

Jane M

Hi Henry8 & welcome to B-G Forums.
    If I might ask, from where did you get his birth date? The logical way of proceeding back from Henry is to get a copy of his birth certificate which will give you the names of his parents. I've had a look on the Free BMD site & it doesn't appear on the index for the date you gave so if you can enlighten me as to the source of your information I'll try to help,

Jane

henry8

Default Henry Stanford search

Quote Originally Posted by Browneyes View Post
    You could have a look at some of the sites on

cyndislist.com/soafrica.htm

It's a start anyway.
    Hi
    Thank you I shall visit the site

henry8

Thank you Sandyhall
    I have no birth certificate. My information is scant and it seems that I will have to dig deeper to verify my information at this end
    Henry8

henry8

Default Search -Henry Stanford

Quote Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
    Hi Henry8 & welcome to B-G Forums.
    If I might ask, from where did you get his birth date? The logical way of proceeding back from Henry is to get a copy of his birth certificate which will give you the names of his parents. I've had a look on the Free BMD site & it doesn't appear on the index for the date you gave so if you can enlighten me as to the source of your information I'll try to help,

Jane
    Hi Jane
    As I mentioned to SandyHall my information is scant- too scant to proceed with my search, so I will have to go back to the drawing board. I live in South Africa, Henry emigrated from England. Perhaps I should start at our local dept. of inland affairs for a copy of a birth certificate and then return to this forum.
    Thank you------Henry8

Jane M

Hi Henry8,
    I saw & responded to your other query re. Ann Hyde over on the Sussex page, is that the wife of Henry Stanford?
    You said your source for the birth date of Ann Hyde was from a book, is that the same source for the birth date of Henry Stanford?
    It might be a good idea to find a death record for him in SA, that might give you a better idea of his birth date. I'm presuming (if Ann Hyde was his wife) that they married in SA? If this is so, then a copy of that marriage certificate should give you an age for him plus, at least, his father's name, if records were kept in SA in a similar way to UK records.
    I'm sure we'll be able to help once you've sorted everything out!

Jane

henry8

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
    Hi Henry8,
    I saw & responded to your other query re. Ann Hyde over on the Sussex page, is that the wife of Henry Stanford?
    You said your source for the birth date of Ann Hyde was from a book, is that the same source for the birth date of Henry Stanford?
    It might be a good idea to find a death record for him in SA, that might give you a better idea of his birth date. I'm presuming (if Ann Hyde was his wife) that they married in SA? If this is so, then a copy of that marriage certificate should give you an age for him plus, at least, his father's name, if records were kept in SA in a similar way to UK records.
    I'm sure we'll be able to help once you've sorted everything out!

Jane
    Hi Jane

Yes Henry married Ann in South Africa. I will endeavor to obtain information from the dept. of inland affairs in South Africa and return to this forum.

Henry

Leona777

Hi Henry8

Did you get any more information cause I found that Henry Stanford is in my family tree from the Honiball side and I would like to know if you might let me know how far you got with your research.
    thanks
    Leona777

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast