Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henry VIII

Jan65

Default Henry VIII

I've just bought Henry VIII's will from The National Archives Documents Online site and am having great fun trying to transcribe it! (Please don't anyone give me a transcription - and I know there'll be an official one somewhere.) Just thought I'd let you all know! Thought this board looked a bit empty!

Janice

Jan1954

Oh, good luck Janice - I hope that you have fun!

You may find this palaeography tutorial from The National Archives of use when the going gets tough.

Jan65

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    You may find this palaeography tutorial from The National Archives of use when the going gets tough.

Thank you Jan - I've used this site before, it's brilliant and has given me lots of tips and advice. I am having fun! I don't think it's Henry's own handwriting, as it doesn't look to be the same writing as a love letter that he wrote to Ann Boleyn that is shown in one of my history books (and yes I've also transcribed that, too!) But hey ho. At the moment I'm ploughing through all the usual godly jargon, about his "sowle" and "holy company of Heaven" etc but am hoping to come to a bit more spicy stuff soon! I'm only on page 3 ...

Oh the elation when I manage to get an elusive word! The joy! Even my 10 year old daughter has become addicted, and she's even been able to figure out some words that I couldn't!

Many happy hours ahead of us both I think!

Janice

Jan65

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Peep View Post
    Do please let us know all the 'juicy' bits.
    You'll all be the first to know, mainly because I won't be able to keep it to myself! It's lovely to talk to people who don't think I'm barmy!

What a marvellous way of teaching your eyes to read old writing. I might just have a go at that - um, when I get another hour in the day.
    That's really clever
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

MythicalMarian

Quote Originally Posted by Janice Gibson View Post
    I don't think it's Henry's own handwriting, as it doesn't look to be the same writing as a love letter that he wrote to Ann Boleyn that is shown in one of my history books (and yes I've also transcribed that, too!)
    Janice
    Janice - I think I can state categorically that the King of England would not do anything so mundane as write out his own will

But do keep us posted on your progress. At least you will be able to check your transcription. I seem to remember a site somewhere that gives a copy of a letter of Mary Queen of Scots for such a purpose.

Don't worry - it's a hard slog but you'll soon be an expert and we'll all be asking for your advice.

Jan65

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalMarian View Post
    Janice - I think I can state categorically that the King of England would not do anything so mundane as write out his own will
    Ha! Yes, of course you're quite right. Too much to hope for that he might have written it himself. I've just finished page three (there are still some words I can't get though), and it looks like there are 27 pages in total. Gulp. The poor old clerk/scribe/whoever, he must have had RSI by the time he'd finished! Wonder if he sued?

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Janice Gibson View Post
    The poor old clerk/scribe/whoever, he must have had RSI by the time he'd finished! Wonder if he sued?
    Probably valued his head too much.....

Good luck with the rest!

Jan65

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Probably valued his head too much.....
    No doubt! My daughter and I have just finished page 6. Still an awful lot of repetition (and still a few unknown words), but at least he's now talking of an "...honourable tombe for our bones to rest in...", where "... the bones and body of our true and loving wife Quene Jane be putt also..." which is rather nice to see.

He also instructed that "... the aultars of King Henry the vjth and also of King Edward the fourth our great uncle and granntfather be made more princely ..." which is also a good snippet.

Watch this space for more bits n bobs as I discover them!

Titanicfan

Thumbs up

Well done, Janice - keep up the good work! As a massive fan of the Tudors - particularly Elizabeth - I can't wait to read more of your transcript!

I'm having enough difficulty just trying to transcribe my ancestor's will at the moment because it's the first will I've seen and I'm not used to the writing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast