Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Most Deadly

Default 1641 - New Historical Novel Feedback

Hi

I have just published my first book.

To me, family history and national history go hand in hand. To fully experience the events that our ancestors lived through helped me appreciate more about their lives. I researched my family back to the English Civil War, but if you are not sure how that momentous period affected England, then reading about it will piece it together.

Decision Most Deadly follows the life of Sir Charles Berkeley as he lives through the pivotal year of 1641, and mixes an exciting and intriguing plot with rich historical details which allow you to fully experience the era. While the country is on the brink of civil war, the book shows how Sir Charles's life is affected by the twists and turns of a stormy period in our history.
    I deliberately picked the time because England was heading for civil war, and I wanted to show how this affected the country, and just what events sparked it. I felt there were already books out there about the war itself, so enjoyed writing the plot around the intrigues of such a tense period.

Kind regards

Mark Turnbull

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Congratulations Mark on your Book Publishing, & getting so far back in your Family line.

How I wish.......I was beginning to think the world began in England about 1800!!! for my lot at least.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

MythicalMarian

Well done, Mark! I am also an aspiring historical novel, although my forte is ancient Rome. However, I really do want to write the story of one of my Jacobite ancestors and I am researching and collecting like mad at the moment.

I'm sure you will act as a talisman to us all. Once again - many congratulations. I will certainly be buying your book. Please tell me - was he a Royalist? (Marian keeping her pro-Stuart fingers crossed). But I'll buy it anyway, even if yer man was in that dirty Roundhead lot We struggling writers must stick together.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Congratulations on getting your book published Mark. Well worth the hard work and determination. I'll look out for it.
    Browneyes

Most Deadly

Hi everyone

Thanks for the support. The hardest thing is acutally getting it out there and talked about. But it is possible and you just need to think positive and keep pushing onwards!

With regards to my ancestor (and I am a complete royalist!!) I presume he started out as a Royalist because he was in an area that declared for the King. But I have to admit that in 1646, he married the daughter of a Scottish officer, in Newcastle. So the city was held by the Scots and with marrying into the family of one of those Scottish soldiers, I have to take it that he had turned to that side after all. (mybe he was always a Parliamentarian though, because we come from Scotland)

In a way, despite his traitorous action ha ha, I am pleased that an event like this marriage actually pretty well confirms his loyalties, because it is so easy for it all to be swallowed up in the space of time.

I have an official website you can look at if you want more information about the book, characters, or read the sample chapter. Just type in Decision Most Deadly into a search engine and it should appear.

Kind regards

Mark

MythicalMarian

I'll look forward to reading it, Mark. Hehe - and I'm glad there's another Royalist on here. We have to gang up on old Geoffers - a wonderful gentleman as far as his knowledge goes, but - alas - misguided (He knows I love him really)

Good luck with the book - I hope it sells well for you. I'll let you know when I get my copy.

Most Deadly

Thanks Marian, and please do keep in touch. It would be nice to hear your feedback about the book once you have read it.

By the way Geoffers, I'll save you a copy if you like!! (You'll have to introduce me to him, Marian and we can have a debate!!)

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalMarian
    I'll look forward to reading it, Mark. Hehe - and I'm glad there's another Royalist on here. We have to gang up on old Geoffers......
    On no! The 'R' word again.............Levellers of the world unite!!

Most Deadly

Hi

I just wanted to share a review by The Northern Echo about Decision Most Deadly, following my last post for feedback:
    (Feel free to read the sample chapters and add your own comments on the book's website)

"Mark Turnbull has his finger on the political, military and social pulse at one of the pivotal moments in British history and he effortlessly transports you back to those momentous days."

The full review can be found on The Northern Echo's website, or my own.

Kind regards
    Mark Turnbull

PS - Hi Geoffers!

Carmy

Congratulations, Mark! My novel is out on submission right now. It's set in Roman Britain. Fingers crossed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast