grannysheena

Default Shadrach (William) Stone

Born 03 Nov 1816 - Portland, Dorset. Died 14 Dec 1882 - Liverpool, Lancs

Accoding to inforamtion we already have he was a seaman/mariner from the 1860's onwards when he lived in Liverpool with his second wife, Jane.

We also believe that he was the mate on the famine ship 'Perseverance' which sailed from Dublin-New York in 1846.

He then seems to be living in New York Census of 1850 with his first wife Catherine (from Ireland) and their son Robert.

Can anyone out there give us some advice on how to research these findings? We seem to be going round in circles! we'd love to know more about his first wife and his sea-faring career.

Thanks ever so much!
    Last edited by grannysheena; 02-05-2009 at 2:17 PM. Reason: Important Info to add!

grannysheena

Over the past few years I have continued to research Shadrach Stone. Point (1) I doubt if he had a middle name at all. Point (2) I have found his Seaman's Masters Certificate and US Seaman's Protection Certificate. My stumbling block now is that I wonder if anyone can help me trace his first wife - Catherine? Many thanks. Sheena

Brick wall demolition expert!

As a guess only:

if she was Irish and he a seaman then they probably married either in Ireland or in New York. The link below takes you to NY state's vital records page, which will tell you what is available and where:

https://www.health.ny.gov/vital_records/

Does the NY census give any indication about where their son was born? That would be another clue to where they married. Have you been able to find his birth record?

Does the census you have found provide any other information such as when they immigrated? Some of the censuses give that sort of information.

There are many web sites offering crew list information, but I have no idea about their usefulness or otherwise. If you do a search for 'crew lists UK' that should bring you up a selection.

What about looking for Shadrach on the Ellis Island site? Presumably if he was living in NY in 1850 he would have had to go through immigration.

Re the Irish connection had you found FMP's transcription of Seamen's records? -
    No. 14429, Robert Stone, age 26, Master, born Portland, ship Orange Branch of Dublin, 12 Sep 1836
    No. 14430, Shadrack Stone, age 20, Mate, born Portland, ship Olive Branch of Dublin, 12 Sep 1836
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

The Galway Patriot, 19 Oct 1836
    PORT NEWS - Sailed
    Oct 19, Olive Branch, Stone, 80 tons of kelp for Newry
    Very calm weather this morning, wind N.W.

grannysheena

Question Orange Branch of Dublin

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Re the Irish connection had you found FMP's transcription of Seamen's records? -
    No. 14429, Robert Stone, age 26, Master, born Portland, ship Orange Branch of Dublin, 12 Sep 1836
    No. 14430, Shadrack Stone, age 20, Mate, born Portland, ship Olive Branch of Dublin, 12 Sep 1836
    Many thanks. Do you know if these reccords are avaiable anywhere else other than FMP?
    I've been searching for the ship you mention above withought much sucess.
    Regards.
    Sheena

First - apologies. Have now noticed I posted "Orange Branch" against Robert. Should, of course, be "Olive Branch".

Have found several items under the search key "olive branch stone" under Shipping News in on line Newspapers (these are subscription sites). The earliest was 1750, the latest 1836.

There is one mention at this free site https://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/home
    (put "olive branch stone" (including inverted commas) in "Find an Article" and hit "Search).

Re mariner records I am only familiar with FMP.

grannysheena

A big apology for not getting back to you sooner.
    I've just started back researching on Shadrach Stone and his family.
    I never noticed the dates on your newspaper articles and FMP's transcription records.
    Both seem to be dated 1836.
    However our Robert Stone wasn't born until 1849 ish, so this could not relate to him.
    Many thanks anyway.