Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge mary elms's Avatar

Chris,

Looks likely doesn't it. I have a Co Durham family that uses names in that way too thus giving Robert White COWELL & William Redshaw COWELL as two of their children. Robert WHITE was the lad's maternal grandfather. I have yet to locate William REDSHAW. But I digress .......

I will certainly keep an eye open for any link with your Anna Elizabeth WATSON as one branch of the family was in Soham around that time.

Mary.

Chris Trigg

Thanks Mary!

Regards

Chris

Tim Haylock

Default Haylock family in carbrooke

Interested to read this forum. I am a direct descendent of Joseph Haylock and Elizabeth (nee Brooke). Their grandson Joseph, agr lab, b.1832, (m.1863 to Fanny) was my grandfather,s grandfather. So I've gone back a few generations to George Haylock who was Joseph (m.Elizabeth Brooke) Haylock's father. There is some uncertainty about George. I believe he died 06.04.1781 and his wife mary died 21.01.1795. Their oldest child, Kesiah was baptised 27.05.1748. I'm guessing that George was born around 1720, but I have found no further information. Their are some years missing in the Carbrooke Parish records. I am aware of some mystery surrounding my grandfather's grandparents but not really sure of what. My grandfather who died in 1998 spoke of his grandmother, Fanny who he remembers accidently flipping over backwards in her rocking chair when he was small - and the children being punished for laughing. My grandfather said he couldn't remember his grandfather.

I would appreciate any further information or help. I have only traced my family tree through the census and parish records so I am really a novice in genealogy.

Regards

Tim Haylock

Hello Tim,

Great to hear from you. The HAYLOCKs are part of my husband's family. He also is a direct descendant of Joseph HAYLOCK & Elizabeth BROOKE. I only popped in quickly this evening to read the posts but I would be very interested in comparing notes. I'll have more time to put something together tommorrow evening. Your message was well timed as I'm about to pick up this branch of the family again after a break. If you'd like to send me an e-mail please do.

Mary.

Hello again Tim,

It looks like we're at about the same stage in our research. I had this conversation with Geoffers almost a year ago then my sister started to write the second part to our family history and I had to down tools and do some research for her. I'm just about to pick up this line again. The first thing I was going to do was to go through the Carbrooke registers in a more leisurely manner (at home with my fiche reader which should arrive any day now!) to check that I haven't missed anything, then I was going to follow through on some of Geoffers suggestions.

Mary.

Tim Haylock

Default Info on Haylock family

Mary

Here is some information on 9 generations of Haylocks including my son, Harry. I have shown my direct line as indented. There is still alot of info that I have to fill in and there may be a few errors. Hope some of this ties in with your research.

George d. 6.4.1781, married Mary d .21.1.1795

Kesiah bapt 27.5.1748
    Anne bapt 17.12.1758
    George bapt Jan 1756
    Matthew ??
    Mary bapt 6.5.1753
    Joseph b. 1750, married 16.6.1778 by license to Elizabeth Brooke

Robert b. 13.6.1779
    Elizabeth d. 7.1.1780 ??
    Elizabeth b. 27.2.1780
    George b. 28.2.1782
    Elizabeth b. 14.7.1782
    Elizabeth b.12.6.1783, d.27.7.1797
    Joseph b.5.11.1788, bricklayer, married Mary
    Barnabas d.14.8.1788 & Matthew d. 10.8.1788, (twins) b. 11.6.1788
    Luke b.1790

Matthew b.1829
    Joseph b.1832, agr lab, married1863 to Fanny Christina Harvey b. 1840(Fanny had 2 children before marrying Joseph, Charles b.1861 & Joseph b.1862)
    Kezia b.1837, d.1915, never married, 2 children Mary Ann b.1860 & Martha b.1857

James b.1868, d.11.7.53, butcher, farmer, preacher, married Hannah Savoury
    Henry b.1874
    John b.1877
    Ada b.1881
    Martha b.1881
    Frederick b.1884

Lucy
    Millie
    Dora
    Harry b.26.12.1902, d. 4.1998, farmer, married Dorothy Wright
    Reggie
    Ada
    Bertie
    Ernest
    Frederick
    Ivy
    James

Thanks
    Tim Haylock
    Last edited by Tim Haylock; 16-01-2006 at 11:03 PM. Reason: remove names of those still living

Thanks Tim,

So am I right in reading that to say you're James (Jimmy) HAYLOCK's g grandson? The indentations don't show - the text editor cuts them out. I had a similar problem with with spaces on an index I'm doing.

My husband is Henry HAYLOCK's g grandson.

Henry HAYLOCK (born 4/2/1874) married Ruth Rebecca COOPER (born c. 1870) They had 3 children - Henry Horrace (Horrie) born 1899, Enid Blanche Audrey born 1900 & Amy Dorothy born 1906. Amy Dorothy married Frederick George MARTIN. They had one child - my mother-in-law.

She says that she remembers Jimmy HAYLOCK and that she still has contact with one member of that branch of the family.

The mystery about Joseph & Fanny couild just be the date of their marriage. Or it could be Fanny's parentage - see this thread

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ead.php?t=6037

Or it could be the mystery child that grew up in the family - Fanny HARVEY - who appears on census returns but I haven't so far found anywhere else though I'm still looking.

Mary.

PS - I think I would edit your last post if I were you to put 'living' instead of the names for people who are still alive. This is a public forum and you don't know who's reading it. Just a thought.
    Last edited by mary elms; 16-01-2006 at 1:25 PM. Reason: to add post script

Ok Tim - I've had time to look through my folders. I have the following information which I would be happy type up for you -

Census Data

1841, 1851, 1861 Wright & Mary HARVEY & family incl. Fanny & Charles
    1841, 1861, 1871 Jospeh & Mary HAYLOCK & family
    1851, 1871 Kezia HAYLOCK & family
    1841, 1851, 1871 Luke & Ann HAYLOCK
    1861 Mary Ann HARVEY
    1871, 1891, 1901 Jospeh & Fanny HAYLOCK & family
    1901 Henry & Ruth HAYLOCK
    1901 John & Florence HAYLOCK
    1901 Robert & Mary Ann HAYLOCK

Certificates

Birth 1840 Fanny Chritiana HARVEY
    Birth 1843 Charles Edwards HARVEY
    Birth 1862 Joseph HARVEY
    Marriage 1863 Jospeh HAYLOCK & Fanny HARVEY
    Birth 1874 Henry HAYLOCK
    Death 1893 Frederick George HAYLOCK
    Death 1893 Joseph HAYLOCK
    Marriage 1893 Joseph HARVEY & Fanny NEWSON
    Marriage 1898 Henry HAYLOCK & Ruth Rebecca COOPER

Let me know if any of this is useful to you.

contd ............
    Last edited by mary elms; 16-01-2006 at 3:21 PM. Reason: typed Joseph when I meant his son Henry - Excuse: there are so many Josephs in the family that it couldn't be wrong could it :)

I also see from my notes that Kezia HAYLOCK was buried in Ovington in 1915 and that Jospeh & Fanny (nee NEWSON) HARVEY were also buried in Ovington - Joseph in 1926 & Fanny in 1942.

Best Wishes,

Mary.

Tim Haylock

Default Haylock family

Thanks Mary

You are right, I am James' great grandson. I was really interested in your information. My direct line is George & Mary, Joseph & Elizabeth, Joseph & Mary, Joseph & Fanny, James & Hannah, Harry & Dorothy.

I have info from census, lists of burials and baptisms which will take a bit of time to type up and email to you.

I would be interested to find out if there were any Haylocks in Carbrooke before George & Mary. I did find the burial of Alice Haycock (or could it be Haylock?), widow aged 100 years, on Aug 13 1770 and John Haycock (Haylock?), clark of the Parish, buried Jun 6th 1769. There are a few years missing in the parish records which may be the link. Any suggestions where the Haylock line may have come from before settling in Carbrooke? There are no Haylocks mentioned in tie Carbrooke Parish records between 1667 and 1735. There is for example a big cluster of Haylocks in South Creake, Norfolk going back to 1554 (International Genealogical Index).

Contact you again soon

Tim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast