Judy M

Default Moray House Archives?

I am researching the background of a teacher Mary Mackinlay who I think may have trained at Moray house. c 1850-60
    Does anyone know if any records for that period exist?
    It is possible she may have won a scholarship to get there.
    She was a very bright lass and later went on to Cheltenham Ladies college and finally emigrated to Australia where she became headmistress of Brisbane Girls Grammar.
    Any help appreciated.

Mary Young

The history of Moray House part 3
    www.
    education.ed.ac.uk/aboutus/morayhouse/history/Part3/index.html has:
    "The earliest record in the Moray House Archive is the Progress Register dating from 1849/50. This Register lists the men and women students who were undertaking the then diploma course."
    The archive appears to be on-site in The Old Nursery School.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moray_House_School_of_Education

In 1998, coinciding with its 150th year, Moray House became part of the University of Edinburgh. As a former pupil, I was proud to be part of the celebratory procession of former pupils, and past and present staff and students. We assembled outside St Giles Kirk with pipers and banners and processed to Canongate Kirk for a most unusual and uplifting service. I had the pleasure of meeting my wonderful teacher, Miss Fleming, after an interval of 55 years.

Judy M

Thanks Mary
    I think I may have found that there are records deposited at the archives also :
    Country Code GB
    Repository Code 237
    Repository Edinburgh University Library, Special Collections Division, Edinburgh University Archives
    Reference GB237/EUA CSD
    Title Records of the Church of Scotland Training College Normal School, Edinburgh
    Dates 1845-1907
    Access Status Restricted
    Access Conditions By appointment. Access to recent official records and records containing confidential information is restricted in accordance with University policies and relevant legislation.
    Description Collection is composed of: log books 1864-1907; and, examination report book 1845-1857.
    I don't know what the restricted access entails but the records certainly look interesting!

Mary Young

Quote Originally Posted by Judy M View Post
    Thanks Mary
    I think I may have found that there are records deposited at the archives also :
    Country Code GB
    Repository Code 237
    Repository Edinburgh University Library, Special Collections Division, Edinburgh University Archives
    Reference GB237/EUA CSD
    Title Records of the Church of Scotland Training College Normal School, Edinburgh
    Dates 1845-1907
    Access Status Restricted
    Access Conditions By appointment. Access to recent official records and records containing confidential information is restricted in accordance with University policies and relevant legislation.
    Description Collection is composed of: log books 1864-1907; and, examination report book 1845-1857.
    I don't know what the restricted access entails but the records certainly look interesting!
    Yes, that does look interesting. It refers to the Church of Scotland Normal School set up in Johnston Terrace.
    Moray House was the Free Church Normal and Sessional School.
    It's possible the archives have been amalgamated in the University Library's collection.
    You could try emailing them.

Ruud van Baal

Can anybody tell something about Charles Sutherland who lived/worked at Moray House in Edinburgh? I have a book in my possession; "The History of Henry Esmond, Esq." (published by Smith, Elder & Co in 1852). On the inside back-cover the name of Charles Sutherland is being written dated 5/10/97 which is I assume 1897 while I also assume that Charles Sutherland wrote those his own name and date.

Any assistance is being appreciated.

Regards,

Ruud van Baal