JaneJ

Default HM Prison Greenside Edinburgh

Hi All,

I have found 2 rellies who I think where in Greenside Prison in Edinburgh in the 1901 census.

I have been searching for them for some time and took the chance and looked up the Prison Census in Edinburgh, and there they were.

Mary McQueenie nee Parkinson was in Greenside but she is down as Mary Queenie, they appear to have the women listed twice with the maiden name listed second, ( it took me a few seconds to figure that one out, I thought I had half my family in there ).

Her husband Thomas McQueenie is also in the same prison, I think they must have male and female wings??

My question is how can I find out why they were there and is there anywhere on the net that would give me any details.

Otherwise it's another trip up to Edinburgh and my husband thinks I have a toy boy up there as it is, chance would be a fine thing, I've yet to find one with a white stick, Lab and a drink problem .

Any help would be wonderful.
    Jane

Mary Young

Edinburgh had a huge prison on Calton Hill, a stone's throw from the east end of Princes Street.
    Looking at old pictures, it seems that the back of the complex abutted onto Greenside Row and Greenside Place. I never heard of a separate Greenside Prison.
    Pictures here on Peter Stubbs' site https://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_b/0_bu...alton_jail.htm

JaneJ

Thanks Mary, I found the pictures on Peter's site last night and I came to the same conclusion as you.

On the 1901 census (not seen the original yet, found info on Ancestory) the address is given as, HM Prison Greenside, I have found very little info on the prison on Carlton Hill and none on Greenside.

I'm continuing to search for more info on the prison and the conditions of how the prisoner's lived. This should help to give me a picture of the couples life.
    I would love to find out why they were there.

I do know that Mary's father (my G/G Grandfather) left all his children an equal share in his estate, but Mary had her share as an allowance which she could draw on twice a year, but only by her, and not her husband. Maybe her Dad knew something she didn't .

Jane

JaneJ

Mary I've just had another look on Ancestory and the census does not say Greenside Prison, but the parish of Greenside.

I must stop looking at reports at 2 in the morning as obviously my brain is not at it's best.

Mary Young

Quote Originally Posted by JaneJ View Post
    |... and the census does not say Greenside Prison, but the parish of Greenside.
    That makes perfect sense!
    BTW the spelling is CALTON not CaRlton.