Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice sue2white's Avatar

Default McAfee...AHHHH!!

My Norton anti virus was coming up for renewal a few weeks ago. As I had had a MASSIVE virus on my computer last month (called Packed Generic 200) that was IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of and ate away at my computer at the speed of light, making me have to have my computer 'flattened' ( not literally...the technical term for wiped), I decided to blow Norton out and give McAfee a go. I had lost all confidence in Norton.

Well!! It is driving me to distraction!
    When I switch my computer on, it immediately updates...a good thing I know, but while it is doing that, it is impossible for me to do anything else. And THEN..it tells me I need to 'fix' my securities i.e install the updates!! Why does it not just do this automatically?? Also when it decides to scan my computer, I have a similar problem...I can barely do anything else.
    Emails come in really slowly too. Despite my Broadband being 'up to' 8mb.

Oh Norton...all is forgiven!! Only problem is...I'm stuck with McAfee for another 11 months!! Give me strength!!.

busyglen

Sorry you are having problems Sue. I had Norton but found that very slow, so when it was up for renewal I went for AVG which is free. So far and touching wood, I don't seem to have any problems. Yes it updates when I turn it on, but it is relatively quick. I have the scan set to come on at a time when I am not usually on the pc, so that I don't get the interruption. On the occasion when I am on and it is causing a problem I exit from the scan and run it later.

I'm afraid I can't comment on McAfee but I am sure others can, and maybe help you.

Good luck.

Glenys

Knowledgeable and helpful

I can recommend Panda Internet Security. Anti-virus and Firewall. Updates daily, slows things down a little while doing so but not enough to bother about. We had Norton before and it let several viruses in.

I have just checked the set up for my McAfee product and it was set up to install automaticallyy...but isn't!! How annoying is that??

I have had AVG in the past, but had to have a separate firewall, malware scanner etc etc, so found Norton easier. But as I said, when it let in, what they described as the one of the 'top three biggest viruses' onto my computer, I totally lost confidence.

Let's hope McAfee proves it's weight in gold....before I smash my computer!!

I had the same problem earlier this week (I had to re-install McAfee). The way round it was to do a quic scan of the computer and this cured the Fix problem. Made sure you have it set to do a full scan at least weekly, I have it set at a time when a certain TV program is on. that I watch.

Barnzzz

I used to have Norton and recently switched to McAfee, I've found it fine so far. The only problem I've had is that it found lots of things that Norton didn't tell me about, I've had to look each one up before telling McAfee what to do about it. I suppose thats a good thing really.............
    Sue

The way round it was to do a quic scan of the computer and this cured the Fix problem
    Have just done this .....keeping my fingers crossed!!

The only problem I've had is that it found lots of things that Norton didn't tell me about, I've had to look each one up before telling McAfee what to do about it.
    This happened when I opened my tree making programme...it said that a one time change was required. I decided not to allow this, but it kept re-asking me, so in the end, fed up with it, I relented. Norton would never have asked, it would have just stopped it. I'll probably end up letting all sorts in!!

Sue

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by Squaredancer View Post
    I can recommend Panda Internet Security. Anti-virus and Firewall. Updates daily, slows things down a little while doing so but not enough to bother about. We had Norton before and it let several viruses in.
    We would never have Norton or McAffee. I too recommend Panda Internet Security. We've used it for years and never had a problem.

If you didn't get rid of Norton totally, then McAffee won't work properly and vice versa. Panda costs $90 for 3 licences. AVG may be free but you run a risk of failure if it goes past the 1 yr mark and you forget to upgrade to the next version.

Marief

Default anti virus

Hi,

I have been using Linux on my PC. My son set it up and he says I dont have to worry about virus's as linux stops them automatically. I have now got a lap to which has Linux and Windows. I hate Windows, but there are cases when I cant use certian things because Windows wont let them be used on Linux., even using 'wine'. But of course lots of programs can be downloaded free with Linux.

I have Norton on Windows and it keeps updating and drives me even more mad. Son says not to download things on Windows unless i am absolutely sure its OK. Dont have to worry on Linus/Firefox. I think its a firewall.

Its not difficult to use and never crashes or sends silly messages, like "not enough space "etc., I am well over retirement age and can use it.

Marie

If you didn't get rid of Norton totally, then McAffee won't work properly and vice versa
    I did use the Norton removal tool, so I know it is completely gone.

I too recommend Panda Internet Security. We've used it for years and never had a problem
    I'll give this a try next year.

Thanks for advice.

Sue

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast