Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

I agree with Neil that you you try to reinstall.

If it is set to update automatically and doesn't then there is a problem. You also say it does not retain your requests to not allow things and keeps asking.

What else might it not be doing that it should?

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by Marief View Post
    Hi,

I have been using Linux on my PC. My son set it up and he says I dont have to worry about virus's as linux stops them automatically. I have now got a lap to which has Linux and Windows. I hate Windows, but there are cases when I cant use certian things because Windows wont let them be used on Linux., even using 'wine'. But of course lots of programs can be downloaded free with Linux.

I have Norton on Windows and it keeps updating and drives me even more mad. Son says not to download things on Windows unless i am absolutely sure its OK. Dont have to worry on Linus/Firefox. I think its a firewall.

Its not difficult to use and never crashes or sends silly messages, like "not enough space "etc., I am well over retirement age and can use it.

Marie
    Linux doesn't stop viruses automatically Marie - but it is not affected by Windows viruses because the coding used in the virus doesn't work in Linux.
    The downloading warning from your son has the same basic reason - some programs contain malicious code deliberately put there to infect your computer (trojans). These malicious programs - in the main - do not run on Linux systems, thus downloading is safer. However, there ARE malware risks with Linux systems - the only one to worry about are rootkits. Having said that, rootkits tend to be aimed at machines running server software such as Apache and focus on older, unpatched software.

Running Windows software on Linux via Wine is often successful, but if the software won't run in Wine, and you have a reasonably powerful PC, you may like to consider running a "virtual machine". That allows you to install a licenced copy of Windows (or indeed a different Linux distro or many other operating systems!) inside your main system. It runs in a virtualised system (i.e a "pretend" machine with its own pretend hardware). That way, you can install your Windows programs into a real Windows system which is living inside your Linux system Sounds technical, but it is actually quite simple to set up. Should the Windows virtual machine go wrong, it is easy to delete the pretend hard drive which has the Windows installed on it and start again with a new install - without affecting your Linux system.

Mark

Famous for offering help & advice sue2white's Avatar

It downloads the updates okay, but then asks me to install them
    Having said that, since I did the quick scan, as suggested by Neil, it seems to be ok.
    Fingers crossed.

Sue

Keep them crossed then Sue, mine just updated itself and requested a restart/close (the notification box), so I decided on restart.

aland

I use NOD 32 from ESET, it updates itself in seconds every time I log on, runs in the back ground and dosen't seem to affect the speed of anything else running, really happy with it.

I shall bare that in mind next year!!
    Thanks
    Sue

David Benson

mine just updated itself and requested a restart/close (the notification box), so I decided on restart.
    It is imperative that you DO restart or the update will not have finished the install. The 'close' option is only there to allow you to finish whatever you are working on before you restart.
    I have seen many computers infected because the update was not fully installed. Your computer may even be unprotected against some viruses/trojans until the restart is performed.

Everything seems fine now since I did the quick scan. Can't understand why it wasn't installing before, without asking. But it is updating and installing now, without any intervention from me. And it kindly lets me know when it has done so.
    Thank goodness.
    Sue

AHHHH!! IT'S AT IT AGAIN!!!

Everything came to a halt while it downloaded and installed the updates and then told me my security I at risk unless I 'fix' it!!

All I have to do is click fix and wait a few moments BUT WHY DOES IT KEEP DOING THIS?? It is driving me senseless!!

Sue

Bartongirl

Default McAffee!

Hi Sue

Know how you feel! Having used Norton which completely messed up my last computer, I ended up buying a new one (needed one anyway really). My last computer used XP and the new one uses Vista with McAffee pre-installed. However I was not able to view BMD records on findmypast. It kept throwing up DjVu errors and IE would close down automatically. I trawled through loads of tech. websites and findmypast for 2 days to try and find a solution to the problem. No luck, tried everything.

I was just about to throw in the towel when I found an answer by sheer luck playing with the toolbar preferences in IE.

DISABLE THE MCAFFEE SITE ADVISOR TOOLBAR. Since doing this findmypast is working fine.

Lorraine

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast