Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Muffy

[QUOTE=babygirl101;285744]I think I may have found the missing Caroline, w/o Matthew. There's a Caroline c.22.6.1830 at Brington, Northamptonshire. Parents Elizabeth and Edward, NFA, wanderers, occupation bakset makers. This would make her the sister of Frederick and Edward and explain why they were travelling together.

I'm still trying to find Edward's wife - Versey/Vasvolloway. She doesn't seem to be listed under those names anywhere, the closest I've found on IGI is a Vashti b. 16.11.1828, Priors Harwick Warks, but that's very much a shot in the dark.

I've found 2 of their children on IGI:-

Saunders 16.4.1858, Holmesfield, Derby, mother Vas Voluvy
    Eliza (Betsey) 7.5.1854, Cheshrie, mother Vasoolooy

Edward Smith and Elizabeth Booth's children: (1824- 1845) Rosetta, Edward, Caroline, Guilderoy, James, Trezi, and Frederick, my Gr-Gr-Grandfather.

Muffy

Frederick Smith married Constance Gray and came to the USA around 1850-60. They were my Gr-Gr-Grandparents. I have stateside information if anyone is interested.

Little Egypt

Quote Originally Posted by Muffy View Post
    Frederick Smith married Constance Gray and came to the USA around 1850-60. They were my Gr-Gr-Grandparents. I have stateside information if anyone is interested.
    Hi Muffy my grt grt grandparents was Henry and Martha Smith, Henry's father Christopher Smith s/o Bathwell and Martha's father James were full cousins. James was brother to your Frederick both son's of Edward Smith and Elizabeth Booth.

Tynedale

Hi, re marriage of Woodfine SMITH and Charlotte SMITH.

Woodfine born Long Buckby Northants c 1830. and Charlotte born Bicker Lin c 1831.
    married 19/5/1853 Mansfield Notts.

Woodfine a.k.a. Woodbine is the native honeysuckle!

A.E.S.

Tynedale

Quote Originally Posted by babygirl101 View Post
    Well, I've looked everywhere for Woodfine and Charlotte before and after 1861 but no luck. They've either died or had a 'makeover' as there's no trace as far as I can see.

On the other hand, Matthew (b.1828 Hillmorton s/o Zachariah) who I suspect was Woodfine's brother, appears with his wife Caroline and offspring :-

Drusilla 1851 (bap 1851, Chesterfield, Derbys)
    Agnes/Edna 1854 (she was bap as Agnes in Cheshire in 1854)
    Edward 1857
    Thomas 1860
    James 1865.

They had another child who James who died shortly after birth in 1850.

1851 :- HO107. Piece 2008. Folio 172. Page 13
    1861 :- RG9. Piece 2595. Folio 97. Page 16
    1871 :- RG10. Piece 3696. Folio 61. Page: 2
    1881 :- RG11. Piece 3521. Folio 34. Page: 22

I now need to find Caroline. All I know is that she was born 1825 - 1828, but she kept changing her PoB - Northants, Cheshire or Oxfordshire?? confusing or what?? Any suggestions welcome on that one. I've starting looking for her but no luck so far.

BG
    Hi, re Caroline: she is listed in family tree of Woodfine Smith (c 1750-1900) by Josephine Tombs.
    Caroline, daughter of Edward Smith & Elizabeth Booth. Caroline born Brington Northants 22/6/1830.
    Not sure about following info - you will need to check it out.... Died Deddington Oxf. 1881.
    A.E.S.

Tynedale

Quote Originally Posted by Ann65 View Post
    oh just found another thing:

Woodfine Smith & Sarah had a son Thomas b.21.02.1810 c.28.05.1810 Rothersthorpe Nthants.
    Hi, re Thomas..... according to Josephine Tombs in her book " Family Tree of Woodfine Smith ",
    Thomas emigrated to USA while a young man with brother James.

A.E.S.

Tynedale

Quote Originally Posted by goz04 View Post
    I am helping a fellow in the US trace his roots. He descends from Woodfine and Charlotte (or more likely from Woodfine's second wife Adaline. He comes from Woodfine's son Walter Smith who married Mamie Boyd.

I found the immigration record where he is listed as Woodford Smith. He came to the US on the ship Monarch of the Sea on 9 May 1863. Also on board are his wife Charlotte and cousin Frederick Smith and his wife and children.

Now to my question. I just purchased a copy of a book entitled "The Family Tree of Woodfine Smith" by Jospehine Toombs and available through the Romany and Traveller FHS Famous Romany Family Series: Vol. 5.

The book shows that the Zachariah Smith who was Woodfine's father was the child of Woodfine Smith and Sarah Boswell. This thread shows Zachariah's father as Thomas Smith and mother as Nancy. I do know that the older Woodfine was easily old enough to be Zachariah's father. Nowhere in the book do I find that Thomas and Nancy nor do I find Matthew/Bathwell Smith.

The book lists the children of Woodifne Smith and Sarah Boswell as Edward (married Elizabeth Booth), Zachariah married Ann (possibly Davis), Thomas who they say went to the US, Moses married Susannah Sherriff, Sidney (called Fersideny in census) married Mary Ann Smith, Spiretta (died young), Frederick married Eleanor Boswell and then Mary, Sentenia maried Esau Smith, Trezian married William Clayton, James who emigrated to the US and Louisa who married a gorjer. This was the first I ever heard that someone from the generation before Woodfine went to the US.

They then list the children of Zachariah and Ann as Matthew who married Caroline Smith, Woodfine who married Charlotte and emigrated, William married Susan Butler, Centie married James Johnson, Joseph who married Coralina, Thomas married Beatrice Smith, Jerusalem (who also called himself Reuben Davis) who married Camelia Smith, Charlotte who married a gorjer, and Levina.

Any thoughts?
    Tombs book p3 shows children of Nehemiah & Elizabeth. Their son, Woodfine b. 1780 has offspring Zachariah b 1812, Thomas b 1810 and James b ? as brothers! - (Cannot reconcile, quote " this thread shows Zachariah's father as Thomas Smith and mother as Nancy " unquote. On p. 6 it shows Zachariah married to Ann and they have (amongst others) a son Thomas b 1837 and also a son Woodfine b 1830.
    It is very difficult but you need to constantly cross-check d.o.b.; p.o.b; etc. etc. to avoid going off at a tangent.
    Last edited by Tynedale; 26-09-2013 at 12:53 AM. Reason: not finished

Tynedale

Continuing earlier post: Finally, Tombs states on p3 Thomas emigrated to the USA while he was young!
    You state a " WOODFORD SMITH " emigrated in 1863 which would make him 53 years of age - NOT A YOUNG MAN!
    So, either Woodford is the wrong person, or he was NOT young when he emigrated!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789