Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    marionandpaul

Default St Mary's Industrial school for girls, Croydon, Surrey

On the 1911 census it shows my grandmother Jane Wheeler (born 1904) as being at this school in 1910 with her two sisters Florrie Wheeler and Louisa Wheeler.
    Has anyone got any information on how to find where the records for this school are kept?

Yours very hopefully,

Xumas

Knowledgeable and helpful

missing-ancestors.com says:

St Mary's Industrial School FOR Catholic Girls, 45 Wellesley Road, West Croydon, Surrey

Later called Ava Maria. Certified 20th March 1871 when at Torrington Lodge, Eltham, Kent. Re-certified 1st September 1886 for 100 girls. 8th March 1897 it was re-certified for the reception of 150 girls. The school is a large Italian style villa with additions. Became an Approved School from 1933.

The only school I can see in the area now has a website:
    st-maryshigh.croydon.sch.uk

Hope that helps.
    Browneyes

Reputation beyond repute

As a result of various high profile child abuse cases, it is almost impossible to get hold of records of Roman Catholic children's establishments.

JenniLl

A long shot maybe to enquire at the Surrey Record Office in Woking - they are very helpful.

Jenni

A fountain of knowledge

Croydon Local Studies would be the obvious place to ask, but their online database lists only a 1904 newspaper article (not viewable online).

Reputation beyond repute

There are tips on tracking down information about industrial school children here -
    https://www.missing-ancestors.com/WHE...ION%20PAGE.htm

As you can see it may be worth checking Juvenile Court records, School Board Registers, County Council Registers, Board of Guardians Registers, Creed Registers, Workhouse School Registers. Unfortunately it won't be a particularly easy or quick job.

Thomasin

In 1927 it was listed as the Ave Maria Industrial School Convent, Sisters of Mercy. I suppose it has nothing to do with Coloma College (Convent of Our Ladies of Mary)?

Thomasin

Mary S (WA)

Default ST Mary's

Quote Originally Posted by marionandpaul View Post
    On the 1911 census it shows my grandmother Jane Wheeler (born 1904) as being at this school in 1910 with her two sisters Florrie Wheeler and Louisa Wheeler.
    Has anyone got any information on how to find where the records for this school are kept?

Yours very hopefully,

Xumas
    I went to Coloma, a Catholic Grammar school in Croydon. St Mary's was another Catholic Secondary Modern girl's school just up the road. It was in Woburn Rd next to the Catholic Church of St Mary's in Wellesley Rd. Students came from there to our school to do GCEs. I don't now if it is any use but the emphasis in St Mary's back then was not as much academical as practical. From memory they had newer buildings than us so it could have replaced an earlier school on that or a different site.

Mary S (WA)

Thumbs up Have a gold star

Quote Originally Posted by Browneyes View Post
    missing-ancestors.com says:

St Mary's Industrial School FOR Catholic Girls, 45 Wellesley Road, West Croydon, Surrey

Later called Ava Maria. Certified 20th March 1871 when at Torrington Lodge, Eltham, Kent. Re-certified 1st September 1886 for 100 girls. 8th March 1897 it was re-certified for the reception of 150 girls. The school is a large Italian style villa with additions. Became an Approved School from 1933.

The only school I can see in the area now has a website:
    st-maryshigh.croydon.sch.uk

Hope that helps.
    Well done, Clever clogs! How did you find all that out?

eugenia

Hi Xumas, I have a dear old friend (94) whose Mother was Louisa Wheeler. I'm almost certain she went to this school. He was brought up in an orphanage from the age of six, knows almost nothing about his family so I was wondering if your family is part of his. Wouldn't that be wonderful. He lived with his Grandmother at 35 Nursery Road Croydon. She died in 1924 then he was put in the home. He remembers that his mother had a sister and also a brother Tom

cheers Eugenia

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast