artdes

Default Coastguards after 1918

Does anyone know where I can find records of Coastguards after 1918?My grandfather John Selby was a coastguard at Newport Pembrokeshire but I don't know when he started in the service.He was certainly there during World War 2 and from then on I think.I would like to find out when he started.
    Any help would be gratefully received.
    Best Wishes
    Yvonne

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by artdes
    Does anyone know where I can find records of Coastguards after 1918?My grandfather John Selby was a coastguard at Newport Pembrokeshire but I don't know when he started in the service.He was certainly there during World War 2 and from then on I think.I would like to find out when he started.
    Like many other records, you should find what you need at The National Archives (TNA) at Kew. First, look at their website:

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

and move your cursor over 'Getting Started' which appears in the red band near the top of the screen. A drop-down menu should appear, from which you need to select 'Index to research guides'.

When the page opens, select 'C' and scroll down to 'Caostguard' - click on the link and you'll get a research guide which should tell you how to find their records.

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

AnnB

The West Middlesex Family History Society have a Coastguard Index listed on their web site, under 'Indexs Held by Members'. I have no idea of the date coverage, but it says it costs £5 per name. You'll find it at https://www.west-middlesex-fhs.org.uk/wmfhsind.html Might be worth a try?

Best wishes
    Ann

busyglen

Question

Yvonne, where was your grandfather born?

This is probably not what you are looking for, but I have a Thomas Selby born Sidmouth, Devon, with wife Ann and son, Thomas J and daur Ellen. Thomas is aged 50 and a chf. boatman in the Coastguard service. I wondered if this could be your John's father? These details are from the 1871 Census Shellness, Sheppey Coastguard Stn.

Let me know if you think this is a possibility.

* Upon reflection, the time scale looks to be wrong, so probably not connected.

Glenys
    Last edited by busyglen; 26-02-2005 at 12:13 PM. Reason: add paragraph

artdes

Default Coastguard records after 1918

Thank you everyone for your replies.
    Busyglen sorry no my grandfather was born and lived all his life in Pembrokeshire.
    Ann I'll have a look at that site thankyou.
    Geoffers The Natonal Archives only have records for Coastguards going up to 1918.I went to Kew last week but no joy.
    I can't even find the current lifeboat station in Newport Pembrokeshire.I know it moved from its original place.
    Thanks again
    Artdes