robinadexter

Default 1841 (or 1851)census lookup please

Still desperately seeking Thomas LUCAS who was born in Llangurig (or somewhere in Montgomeryshire, if later censuses are to be believed).
    He was born some time between 1817 and 1825 and therefore may still have been with parents in 1841. I suspect he may have moved away by 1851, but would be happy to be proved wrong.
    Any help would win my eternal gratitude.

JS Lewis

On the 1851 Census this is the only Thomas Lucas for Llangurig.

LUCAS Thomas, , w, 71, Ppr, Hand loom weaver, MGY Llangurig, Maes, /f41/p1.

(Would this be your Thomas' father?)
    There are several other Lucas listed in llangurig which I suppose would be family.

On looking through the entire Montgomeryshire census, their is only one other Thomas Lucas, but this is a child, so you are possibly correct in that your Thomas Lucas has moved on.

I'll look on the 1841 for Llangurig, & see what I can find.
    Last edited by JS Lewis; 28-02-2005 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Additional info

JS Lewis

In 1841 for Llangirig, we have...

@The Millhouse
    Thomas Lucas, 40, Miller, born of this county
    Margaret Lucas, 50, born of this county

& another
    Thomas Lucas, 60, Pauper, born of this county

robinadexter

Thank you JS Lewis.
    Looks like my Thomas had moved on by 1841, let alone '51. He was a father himself by 1858 and therefore is not likely to be the child you have found in 1851 (unless it was quite an old child!?). On the other hand, none of the later censuses (I have him from 1861 onwards) nor his death certificate suggest a birth as early as 1801 (as for the miller in 1841). My Thomas is not likely to have been born before 1816.
    The elderly pauper (the same man in the two censuses?) may well be my Thomas's father. IGI has 3 possible Llangurig Thomas Lucas christenings, 2 of whom had a Thomas as father. But, without more evidence, who can say?
    I have a lovely photo of my Thomas and one of his wife. They were why I started on my tree. I have traced several other lines back to 6 and 7x great grandparents and have even found 4 of my 9x ggs ... but Thomas and Louisa still represent one big brick wall.
    Thanks for your help anyway.