Spangle

Default 1800s Tailors info

Those with tailor ancestors in the early to mid 1800s might find this interesting: https://www.archive.org/stream/select...ntsi00galtiala

It describes the problems and economy of the journeymen tailors and the way they were treated by their employers in London. My research tells me that the same complaints were made by the Dublin tailors of the period. As a result of the "combinations" of journeymen tailors in Dublin my G G G Grandfather wrote to the Irish press, together with half a dozen other merchant tailors, proposing to increase the wages of the journeymen and offer them pensions, sick pay, funeral expenses and a widow's pension.

mavisstonehouse

Unhappy 1800 Tailors

many thanks for your information about this book. It helps me to understand the problems faced by my gg grandfather, who was a journeyman tailor and died of consumption at the age of 44, leaving a widow and two young daughters. No wonder his daughters had no education and in 1895 could not even sign their names

Spangle

Quote Originally Posted by mavisstonehouse View Post
    many thanks for your information about this book. It helps me to understand the problems faced by my gg grandfather, who was a journeyman tailor and died of consumption at the age of 44, leaving a widow and two young daughters. No wonder his daughters had no education and in 1895 could not even sign their names

My pleasure, glad to have been of help. Your G G Grandfather, poor soul, was only my age when he died. Its a huge shame to mankind that the proposals made by my own G G G Grandfather were not implemented then.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi

My great, great grandmother and her sister were tailoresses in the 1881 census. Their dads mum was a dressmaker as was her daughter.

Ben

Loves to help with queries

Some of my ancestors were also tailors in Manchester 1800s-1900s. They originated in Belfast and moved to Manchester and had their own string of tailors, haberdashers and millinary shops. They were called McMullen. Anyone know anything about them?

Quote Originally Posted by daisynook View Post
    Some of my ancestors were also tailors in Manchester 1800s-1900s. They originated in Belfast and moved to Manchester and had their own string of tailors, haberdashers and millinary shops. They were called McMullen. Anyone know anything about them?
    Hi
    What information are you looking for? It seems you have them on censuses? So are you wanting to know more about their occupation, social standing, lives in Ireland?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Loves to help with queries

Hi Christina - True I have a lot of information about them from censuses and other sources but there are still outstanding questions. I'd like to know more about the businesses. I know they had a number of shops. One in M/c city centre and 2 or 3 on Conran Street, Harpurhey and they acquired a theatrical costumiers in the 1920s which was sold in the 1960s. I would like to know which branch of the family was running each shop. Also I heard that there is a photo of the Conran Street shop with McMullan's standing outside floating around somewhere but I have failed to find anyone who knows where it is so any photographs would be appreciated.