Thread: Useful site

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Useful site

There are some Limerick obituary details (19th century) at:

https://www.limerick.ie/Library/Local...iclenewspaper/

Also, the Limerick City Council Archives has online minute books, including a variety of correspondence to and from the Council, ranging between 1841-1972:

https://www.limerick.ie/DigitalArchiv...972/#d.en.9869

I've spent much too long looking at some of them today BUT noticed that there are occasional brief 'condolences' noted at the end of some of the records - usually the first and last name of the deceased is given and generally their partner is Mrs/Mr x without a christian name. When you click on the link it comes up as a DjVu and does take a while to load but is well worth the wait. You can use the 'binoculars' to search within the book but a search like that will not pick up every reference in the older books. You might find you'll just have to work your way through a particular minute book/record but if you know roughly the day/month/time that you're interested in that will help. Obviously if you only have the name and not the date the date of the minutes will help.

Originally I was looking for information on the Great Munster (possibly aka Manister) Fair in Limerick which dates back to the late 19th century. I didn't get very far with that at all and then landed on the City Council site and, well, I turned off into a side road then!
    Browneyes

Knowledgeable and helpful

PS. There are other useful documents on the site too. For example:

1931-32, 1940, 1945 & 1950 Register of Electors or Limerick City Trades Register 1769-1925

Browneyes