Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    louisemccrea

Default looking for a spouse in Bristol

Hi

I am looking for the name of the spouse of a Minnie deVall they married around 1909 i am a bit stuck as i am unsure if this is the right minnie as another married in Dudley about 1911 and there is links to the family there aswell however i know the minnie i am looking for was born in Bristol so i think it might be her.

Thanks for any help
    Louise

Copper

If you use the Free BMD site you can search the indexes. There is a Minnie DEVALL marriage in the Bristol registration district in 1907.

When you click on the page number you get a list of all the brides and grooms from that age in the register. In this case there are 3 brides and 2 grooms. This means that one groom has not been transcribed or transcribed with an incorrect page number or some other error.

The only way to find out the name of the groom would be to buy a copy of the marriage certificate.

If you need further help with using the Free BMD site or buying a copy of the certificate just ask.

louisemccrea

Hi Copper

Thanks for that i will order a copy i had a look on free bmd and found her but did not realise that if you clicked on the page no it brings up other people married then thanks for that it is very useful to know

thanks Louise

Copper

That is why Free BMD is so helpful. I have found the names of spouses using Free BMD and then the census as a check. Doesn't work if the brides were all Mary, Elizabeth or Ann etc.

I see I made a typo in my reply. When you click on the page number you should get a list of all the brides and grooms entered on that page in that register.

I always buy certificates for the direct ancestors.

louisemccrea

Hi Copper

Thanks again i usually buy certs for ancestors direct in my line or who i know a good bit about however Minnie is a bit of mystery to me and i am trying to link her up properly.

I will now get more use from Free bmd

Louise

Quote Originally Posted by Copper View Post
    In this case there are 3 brides and 2 grooms. This means that one groom has not been transcribed or transcribed with an incorrect page number or some other error.
    No - it means that one bride should not be there and it could be Minnie! There are two marriages per page, so there should be four names, 2 grooms and 2 brides. I think it's Alice Thompson, who should be given as page 366 (you can view scans of the original by clicking on the spectacles) (page 366 only has three names)

Copper

Well spotted. There are a few years though where there are four couples to a page. I can't remember which years but possibly in the 1850s. Do you remember which years have that many marriages to a page?

I know I was trying to find the maiden name of a bride once and came across the four couples page. I had a choice of three brides named Mary!

louisemccrea

Hi Andrew and Copper

Thanks for the help i had a look at the scans and all the names have page 306 although Alice Thompson does look like 366 if this is the case does that mean that Minnie was married to one of the two grooms if so then i think it is the Douse fellow as i found the other couple on IGI married to each other.
    This has all been really helpful as i did not know you could look at the scans and did not know about matching the page numbers.
    Thankyou again
    Louise

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Copper View Post
    Well spotted. There are a few years though where there are four couples to a page. I can't remember which years but possibly in the 1850s. Do you remember which years have that many marriages to a page?
    I believe the format of the quarterly returns for marriages was changed in 1852 from four couples per page to two couples per page. But the clergy were permitted to use up their remaining stock of old-format returns after that date, so some variation is found.

Kerrywood

Copper

I have just checked the entry for Alice Thompson on a pay to view site which has a better image. Alice should have the page number 366.

This means that your Minnie married either Joseph George Bingle or Henry Gordon Douse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast