NatashaBatsford

Default London Policeman

Hi

I'm looking for an ancestor, George Richard BATSFORD who is listed as a Policeman on his marriage certificate of 1846 but who was later discharged after being assaulted by a prisoner.

Seeing as he was born in Marylebone and then to Southwark for the 1851 census (no occupation listed) I think the chances are he was in the Met

I have already written off to the various contacts for information on his service record but I also did a search on Old Bailey Online to see if he testified in court against anyone.

There seems to be a George Batsford during the right time frame who testifies several times: Each time he is listed as police-constable M 70.

Any ideas what the M 70 might mean?

Thanks
    Tash

v.wells

I would think M70 is his badge # and M meaning Metro (London Metropolitan Police). The London Metropolitan Police archives and or museum will have his information I would think unless it is one you have already tried. TNA may have something for about that date.

Colin Moretti

Read the TNA Guidance on Metropolitan Police records

M Division was Southwark which ties in with the 1851 census

Colin

v.wells

You are right Colin - I forgot I have a list of all the Division numbers.

NatashaBatsford

Thank you so much guys, I did wonder if this might be the case, but I don't like making assumptions about these things.

One other (probably daft) question - is it usual for a constable to change badge numbers? In some of the "example records" I've seen online, it does seem to happen, but I was wondering why that might happen if the policeman in question stays in the same division.

NatashaBatsford

By the way Colin, thank you SO MUCH for the link - it appears George was given a discretionary pension in 1856/7 and I've just ordered a copy.

Excited? Moi?

Starting to feel at home

Met Police officers have a warrant number which is unique to the individual officer. They also have a divisional collar number which is the number worn on the tunic collar ( now its on the epaulettes or tunic shoulders but its still called the collar number). That number would change if the officer is posted to a different division.

Vossy

NatashaBatsford

Thank you Vossy, I now have a copy of his pension records which are wonderfully detailed and confirm that he in in fact the same gentleman as appears as a witness on the Old Bailey Online

One very happy camper here!!

Tash

Default George Batsford

A friend of my Dad's Paul Batsford has asked me to find some information on George Batsford who was a policeman and his 3 x great grandfather. I see that you have obtained George's pension record. Would it be possible for you to let me see a copy so I can pass it on to Paul please?
    Regards.
    Debs