benlyfreak

Default Loftus Parish Church abt 1900

Hi,

I've just discovered some of my ancestors married at Loftus Parish Church (Guisbrough area) in 1903.

The marriage certificate doesn't state what the church's name is.

Does anyone know what the church would be in Loftus at that point in history, and can anyone point me in the right direction for images, photographs etc of it.

All help gratefully received.

samgibbons56

Quote Originally Posted by benlyfreak View Post
    Hi,

I've just discovered some of my ancestors married at Loftus Parish Church (Guisbrough area) in 1903.

The marriage certificate doesn't state what the church's name is.

Does anyone know what the church would be in Loftus at that point in history, and can anyone point me in the right direction for images, photographs etc of it.

All help gratefully received.
    Hello,
    Genuki lists St Leonards as the C of E church, the others are RC or others see here
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS...tus/index.html
    Regards
    Sam

benlyfreak

Hi sam,

Thanks for that.

You wouldn't happen to know where the local cemetery and or burial ground would be for 1908 in the same area?

They had a child who died when she was 2 years old, who i believe will be buried around there somewhere.

Thanks again,
    Benlyfreak

samgibbons56

Hi sam,

Thanks for that.

You wouldn't happen to know where the local cemetery and or burial ground would be for 1908 in the same area?

They had a child who died when she was 2 years old, who i believe will be buried around there somewhere.

Thanks again,
    Benlyfreak
    Hi Benlyfreak,
    Take a look at the Cleveland fhs site they have copies of the MI's for the Loftus area, here is a link to the list of publications.
    https://www.clevelandfhs.org.uk/MI%20CDS.doc
    Regards
    Sam

benlyfreak

Brilliant.

Thanks again. That will keep me amused for the next couple of hours finding out what i can about where they married and where their child may be buried.

Thanks Sam.

Benlyfreak

samgibbons56

Brilliant.

Thanks again. That will keep me amused for the next couple of hours finding out what i can about where they married and where their child may be buried.

Thanks Sam.

Benlyfreak
    Hello Benlyfreak,
    You are very welcome, only too happy to help.
    Good luck with your searching.
    Regards
    Sam

Hi sam,

Thanks for that.

Thanks again,
    Benlyfreak
    Hi Benlyfreak,

Just stummbled over your posting, and yep i can say the grave yard is spilt in two ,one part old ,the other new .
    So your grave will be in our side [trisha,s tree].
    The graveyard is just off the road at the end of the town[LOFTUS] ,as you head for WHITBY,right hand side .There is a narrow road through it ,enough space to park a car .

We have a good few relatives there,one being SIR JOHN SCOTT.

Jim B

This year [2012]my wife wants to return to see SIR JOHN SCOTT grave .It is of a red granite ,and was ordered for his wife Elizabeth .
    It stands about 4 to 5 ft high box shape ,{the last time we were there ,we did try to clean it ,and it looked really nice in the sun.}

For history point of view , where would the granite have come from?? and would it have been ordered specially .[i would not like to guess the cost }

It would add substance ,for when we see it again.

Jim B

lizone

Jim

Are we talking about a Victorian memorial? If so, the materials which match your description could be either Peterhead Granite from Aberdeenshire (pinky red with black inclusions) or Balmoral Red, usually from Scandinavia (darker red with black inclusions). Either way, it would have been a relatively expensive memorial. The inscriptions must be almost as clear today as the day they were cut!

Liz

Hi Liz, it,s a rather long ,but i would not call it a Victorian memorial and it,s pinky red with black inclusions. thank you for your infomation.

jim