Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Oxford Graduates ...

From ‘University News’ in the Times, I see that someone was awarded (July 19, 1926) the Diploma in the Theory, History and Practice of Education. Was this the present-day PGCE?

Then (June 10, 1929) he was awarded an MA. In the latter case, Keble College is noted.

Am I right that Oxford graduates with a BA were automatically awarded an MA some years later? If so, can someone pse tell me the waiting time? Knowing this, it should be possible to work out when he got his BA (presumably from Keble).

At the age of 23 (according to the 1891 census), he was a schoolmaster. I know that people regularly taught on the strength of a degree without the need for a teaching qualification. So perhaps he had already got his BA from Oxford by 1891 ... (?)

Were BA successes recorded in University News?

What information is likely to be forthcoming from Keble about this man?

Comments greatly appreciated ...

OB

hughar

The 'A' pay site has Oxford University Alumni 1500-1886 and Oxford Men 1880-1892 online. if you don't have access post his name here and no doubt someone will arrange a lookup for you.

Reputation beyond repute

British Origins has Teachers' Registrations 1914-1948 (may include people whao had been teaching from an earlier date)

Starting to feel at home

Great!

I've found the following:-

Wheeler, Daniel William, IS. William Handcock, of Berrow, Somerset, cler. Exeter Coll, matric. 21 Oct 1886, aged 19

What is the significance of "IS. William Handcock"? Also what is meant by "cler"? Is Exeter the name of an Oxford college, or the name of the school from which he matriculated to Oxford?

His Diploma in the Theory, History and Practice of Education (July 19, 1926) (presumably a later course) was at Keble, Oxford.

I'm wondering what he read at Oxford ... (?)

Comments greatly appreciated ...

OB

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by OckBexhill
    Is Exeter the name of an Oxford college
    Exeter College, Oxford is on Turl Street

I normally understand 'cler' to be an abbreviation for 'cleric' or clerk

hughar

The full entry reads
    "Wheeler, Daniel William, born at Berrow, Somerset,
    7 Sept., 1867; 1s. William Handcock, cler.
    EXETER matric, 21 Oct., 86, aged 19 (from New
    Plymouth, N.Z., high school), B.A.90; Honours:
    -4 history 90."

What you have as "IS. William Handcock" is "1S. William Handcock". "1S" means "first son of'" and "cler." is "Clerk or cleric" So he is described as the first son of William Handcock, a clerk in Holy Orders. Also Exeter is the name of a college.
    The New Zealand reference looks interesting also.

Starting to feel at home

This chap gets more and more interesting by the day!

VMT for the lead and the explanation. His father was indeed a vicar - that of Berrow in Somerset. In the 1871 census, the father is William H Wheeler, Vicar of Berrow, at the vicarage with his family and servants.

But how extraordinary that DWW should have been educated in NZ. I'll get in touch with the school, which is mentioned in Wiki and which also comes up via a Google search.

Returning to the entry, does 'BA 90' mean that he got his BA in 1890? How about the Honours? I'm familiar with the present-day 1.1; 2.1 and so on. A '4' doesn't seem to be such a good degree ... (?) Or am I misunderstanding the system?

Is it likely that there is more information about his Oxford days somewhere?

Thanks also to Geoffers for his input ... also about W C Barne in the military section. I'll be posting re the latter when I've digested the info.

OB

Starting to feel at home

Thanks for the tip ... wonder whether these are mainly teachers at state schools ... (?)

DWW taught in Eastbourne, first at a private school and later as a partner in another. In the end, it seems that his school reduced in size to become more of a tutorial establishment.

hughar

Quote Originally Posted by OckBexhill View Post
    This chap gets more and more interesting by the day!

VMT for the lead and the explanation. His father was indeed a vicar - that of Berrow in Somerset. In the 1871 census, the father is William H Wheeler, Vicar of Berrow, at the vicarage with his family and servants.

But how extraordinary that DWW should have been educated in NZ. I'll get in touch with the school, which is mentioned in Wiki and which also comes up via a Google search.

Returning to the entry, does 'BA 90' mean that he got his BA in 1890? How about the Honours? I'm familiar with the present-day 1.1; 2.1 and so on. A '4' doesn't seem to be such a good degree ... (?) Or am I misunderstanding the system?

Is it likely that there is more information about his Oxford days somewhere?

OB
    So the "H" of William H Wheeler is "Handcock".

I haven't found a way to get to the page of "Oxford Men" with the list of abbreviations in 'A', but believe from other entries that "BA 90" does mean that's when he got his first degree, as you suggest. However, I don't have any idea about the honours.

For any more details of his life at Oxford you might perhaps approach Oxford library, or the Archivist at his College.

Famous for offering help & advice

See this page for some Oxford terminology. There used to be a 4th class degree in Oxford, but according to Wikipedia it was phased out in the 1970s.

Arthur

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast